Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #21
CorvinaLoca

mono preferences

izor xxx has very little memory. really good line for casting. my go to on surface iron jig sticks.

p line cxx is my go to for dropper loops. i think it makes better knots and retains strength better for that purpose.

both are great lines and would not be crime to switch roles. both also great for fly lining and yo-yoing. i keep big spools of each in 40 lb for winter fishing so i can keep em fresh n change out frequently.

imho ande and big game will get job done, but definitely not as nice as above.
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #22
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I've used Berkley big game (clear) or Ande (pink) for mono bought in bulk for 30+ years and stored in an spare ice chest to preserve the integrity! I'm planning on purchasing an arsenal of Terez rods for fishing braid with Seaguar Top-shot as they have very moderate actions to absorb shock but with a heavy backbone but section.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #23
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
If you are doing braid with just a short mono or flouro topshot, a little stretch is actually ok because it will result in less pulled hooks. A nice parabolic rod will also help with this.

There are lots of other ways to save money while fishing, particularly on the kayak. Flouro is one thing I don't skimp on, particularly in instances where flouro matters. When it does mater, Seguar Premier for me. When dropper loop or yoyo fishing, any old line will work.
x2. I don't skimp on fluoro either. Fluoroclear doesn't dissapear in water like 100% fluoro does. Seaguar Premier or Blackwater for me.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #24
taggermike

I've gotten away from mono and use braid with a short fluoro leader. I use seaguar fluoro for heavier lines and haven't had trouble with it. Most fluoro is stiffer than mono so you have to be a bit more careful with your knots. I've been doing more bay and fresh water fishing and use 4-6 rods. For this fluoro I bought a couple 150 yards filler spools of Berkley vanish. It has worked fine and using 10 yards a trip it saves some cash. My last mono hold out is an old jig stick. 40 lb Berkley big game has always worked well. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote