Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

if your going to spend that much time on the water on a regular basis, then perhaps you should consider a lifepo4 battery. there are a few guys here using them perhaps they can provide some insight. I had a timer on my tank 6 volt 10 amp hr battery and could get 10 hours never stayed on the water longer then that with the tank needing to run.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #22
YakDout
Brandon

I have a LIPO for my fishfinder and it's definitely worth the extra coin. Been doing some research on 6 volt lithium phosphate rated at least 12 AH but haven't found one to buy yet. I would imagine the dimensions would be larger so may have to rig up a new way to mount battery to the hobie tank. It's always late in the day that I need the bait the most and don't have it because my pump won't run anymore. Sometimes I've had to rely on single or double macs. Then run back out to the grounds with those only to get bit in half by a dog. Pedal back in towards the kelp to make one or two more at a time. It's a vicious cycle....
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #23
pbb

On the Li-PO, be aware that the ones you can buy on ebay don't live up to the stated AH ratings, according to some posts I read elsewhere.

Also, you can kill them by completely draining them. I've got a dead one I used briefly with my FF. Won't take a charge anymore.

On the other hand they are fairly cheap.

You could also just buy a second lead acid battery and swap it out on the water.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #24
YakDout
Brandon

Nothing but good things to say about my lithium phosphate. This is the exact one I have for my FF.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0083B...110_SY165_QL70

I've put in two full days on the water (10-12 hrs) and it was still running half way through the third day.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
TJones

Not long

Larger baits need more air supply . Have you hooked up a meter to check voltage on battery ? If it is new or in great shape it should be around 6.5 vlts. 6.3 vlts is in good shape and so on . I would think anything under 6 vlts? Would be going out or bad .I picked up a meter from harbor freight for dirt cheap. A good battery should power you for more than 6 hours . The flow will slow down , but still be more than adequate for a handful of macs . Two batteries should easily carry you through the day . Even a 10 and 7 combined . Two 7's might do it . It might be time for you to invest . Check frys , they might have something reasonable . I purchased some 7 Amp models way back . I would try to stick with tens though.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Larger baits need more air supply . Have you hooked up a meter to check voltage on battery ? If it is new or in great shape it should be around 6.5 vlts. 6.3 vlts is in good shape and so on . I would think anything under 6 vlts? Would be going out or bad .I picked up a meter from harbor freight for dirt cheap. A good battery should power you for more than 6 hours . The flow will slow down , but still be more than adequate for a handful of macs . Two batteries should easily carry you through the day . Even a 10 and 7 combined . Two 7's might do it . It might be time for you to invest . Check frys , they might have something reasonable . I purchased some 7 Amp models way back . I would try to stick with tens though.

Thanks for input. Yes I have a multimeter and my battery when full charged holds over 6 volts. I will probably be getting another one soon for backup. Is there a place to buy the plug for the wiring harness? I'm thinking I may build some sort of mount for a second battery on my hobie tank and run a switch, when one battery dies I can flip on the new one.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #27
TJones

They will get sleepy very quickly

I would say within 20 minutes the macs will start slowing down . Probably they start loosing brain cells after 30 minutes . Water level and how many macs inside tank will give different results . I bought a longer insert pipe , so my water level is to the Top of tank .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote