Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #21
GregAndrew

There are certainly some nice advantages of the high end batteries, but they are not for everyone. If you only go out a few times a month, fish short days and don't go on trips, they are probably not for you. On the other hand, if you are tired of having to replace another SLA, take kayak trips to remote locations, fish long back to back days often, are concerned about a short causing your battery to melt down, don't like to leave your battery on the charger for 8+ hours or just want to lose a few pounds, then the LiFePo4 batteries may be for you.

Every few weeks, Bioenno has their 12v 12ah battery with charger on sale for about $150 shipped. I chose that size battery (12ah) because I knew it would get me 2 full days of use from my HDS 5 at .75a per hr.(avg.). Your needs/uses may vary, so the size you need may be more or less. That is also the largest size of battery I could fit in my built in battery bag.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
There are certainly some nice advantages of the high end batteries, but they are not for everyone. If you only go out a few times a month, fish short days and don't go on trips, they are probably not for you. On the other hand, if you are tired of having to replace another SLA, take kayak trips to remote locations, fish long back to back days often, are concerned about a short causing your battery to melt down, don't like to leave your battery on the charger for 8+ hours or just want to lose a few pounds, then the LiFePo4 batteries may be for you.

Every few weeks, Bioenno has their 12v 12ah battery with charger on sale for about $150 shipped. I chose that size battery (12ah) because I knew it would get me 2 full days of use from my HDS 5 at .75a per hr.(avg.). Your needs/uses may vary, so the size you need may be more or less. That is also the largest size of battery I could fit in my built in battery bag.
Thanks for the explanations guys.
Greg, is this the one you're referring to? Looks even cheaper...however; says "coming soon".
http://www.bioennopower.com/collecti...ifepo4-battery
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Greg, is this the one you're referring to? Looks even cheaper...however; says "coming soon".

Unless they have two different 12v 12a batteries I believe 'coming soon' means its on back order.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 11-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post

Those are some of the reasons I decided to go with a LiFePo4. I fish at least 3-4 times a month and I'm usually on the water right around 8hrs. I didn't want a battery that 'might' last 10hrs or die after 5hrs because I forgot to charge it. I once ran my LiFePo4 from 6am - 8pm and it never failed, that kind of dependability is worth every cent to me.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
GregAndrew

Quote:
That is the one, right down to the model number. That was about the price before, but I was talking about after tax and shipping.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
BrokeLoser

Have you guys seen this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-10Ah-Bam...item4ac0b5aa49
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Interesting packaging. They mention the use of lead acid chargers in their description. That's surprising.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I've been using lithium ion batteries since 09, been through 3 kayaks since then and on my fourth. Still on my original set, Batteries are still going strong. I did pay alot of money for them but i bought them just once and they power all my devices all day and some. Plus they are even lighter and smaller than the lifepo batteries... But the only drawback is you cannot get them wet, luckly i never have yet....

Alot of us have really powerful and expensive fishfinders. Why cheap out on the power source? Having that extra capacity in a smaller lighter package that will probably outlast your kayak is worth it in my opinion.
There ya go, just put it/them in a waterproof container with a top (take top off to charge), drill a small hole in box to run wires through and 5200 them in place, a few waterproof connectors, and your in business. Like any battery, anything that causes a very fast discharge, like submersion, will create an electric thermo transfer, i.e., heat, enough to create a fire, or melt a yak. The nice thing is that a 20amph LION is about the size of a cigarette box.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #29
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:

That looks like a great price, but I wouldn't think the bamboo case would hold up without being in a waterproof container
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Interesting packaging. They mention the use of lead acid chargers in their description. That's surprising.

That could mean it's not balanced. A balanced LIPO 4 battery is going to last much longer if taken care of properly.

Last edited by CR Yaker; 11-07-2013 at 08:48 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #31
GregAndrew

The chip inside the good LiFePo4 batteries protects from many problem situations like over discharge where your battery would heat up, potentially causing a problem. I dont see any mention of the Bamboo case being waterproof which would be a problem. Also, 10 amps is not going to last me 2 full days of fishing with my ff.