Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
MurseMike
Junior

So first beach launch and landing went well. It definitely will get interesting when it gets bigger than ankle to knee high. I launched at 5 and I'm not going to lie I was a bit sketched out not being able to see more than 10 feet and being in that much water. Chris helped me out huge by letting me follow him out a ways. Fishing was fantastic, but I was able to getting a few healthy mackeral and a halibut that was the size of my hand. I had to call it an early day because of work so I started the paddle back to shore at 9. The wind was starting to come up. Overall, it was a awesome day and definitely way better than newport and dana point. It was my third time fishing without a deck hand and my third time in a kayak. The paddle wasn't too bad and will only help me build muscle for surfing this winter.
MurseMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #22
Cbad Mike

Nice report. Glad it went well for you. Btw.... The Halibut the size of your hand most likely was a Sand Dab. There's a ton of them in LJ.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #23
MurseMike
Junior

Haha like I said complete newbie. Btw KCCO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.0 KB, 36 views)
MurseMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
TJones

last week

i had trouble catching greenies with sibiki . i was able to catch sardines and spanish , this was in the midst of a wide open bite . i should have dumped the spanish macs and headed to 95 ' of water with the few "dines" that i had . i have never really fished sardines in Lj , but needless to say these are great baits . this week i switched back to a pre made double hook setup tipped with squid , which wasn't working for me either .so i started to head offshore with the one greenback that i had , but after 45 min. of paddling , decided to try and tie off , hoping that the winds would die down . remarkably i was able to stay stationary with only two strand of kelp . i did this for 45 minutes to no avail . i tried to head off shore again , but was quickly fatigued and headed back in . the paddle back in seemed to take longer than normal , maybe i was out of gas from the start . swells were pretty big , combined with the wind i almost felt like i was about to flip on the PA , had i done something stupid . coming back in , the water definitely had more power , but so far i have been lucky on the pro angler and have not gotten destroyed . this might have been a better day for a outback . hope to see you guys on the water soon . take care .

Last edited by TJones; 09-26-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: congrats on catch , you did better that most .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote