Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
brokeassboater
Junior

I going to try the the hobie next and run right into the weed withit. My wife is a cowgirl and has 5 f@#knig horses,"why?" is another whole debate. lifting saddles and feed bags ect is no problem, my concern for her is getting tired in a wind and or current. But I would belive her indurance would improve with reg. outings. Im 225lb and built like a fireplug, would a 13' or 14' make more any differance?
brokeassboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Mongo Johnson

There is a notable stability difference between the Revo 11 (mentioned earlier) and the 13 -- even for a gal weighing in at 145 lbs. Of course, the 11's wobble was more pronounced for me, and I beat your 225. My wife and I demo'ed an 11 and 13 ... and swapped boats during a trial run.

The 11 was liveable and a dandy ride. It'd be fine if all I was doing was a fun run rental and chasing bass on a lake occassionally and letting kids bop around on it the rest of the time.

We opted for Revo 13s as they felt better for my 145 lb wife and certainly for my stocky bod. Also, if I was bringing out a buddy, most of them top 180-220 range and the 13 has more carrying capacity. As a rigged fishing boat, you're going to add more lbs.

For us, fishing wasn't the original motivation, but the Revo gets fine props on that use. At 60 lbs they managabe in loaded/unloading.

Still, for fishing-specific uses, also consider the Outback and PA. They're more angler intended. Since we're into touring and coastal kelp the 'faster' Revo's attracted us. The 14 Adventure seemed spiffy, but overkill for our needs.

Since we weren't fisherman first, the more SUV style boats or heavier fishing yaks weren't needed. The Revo seemed to split the difference between a more streamlined yak and more fishing utility yak.

All the Mirage drive yaks will "get you there," so it comes down to looking at your intended use. As far as wind/current, just know your limits. The drive may make it easier to get through.

The bash on the drive in low water is over blown. I'd echo the other post that the drive isn't a hassle in kelp. Just put the flippers in neutral and paddle a while and jump back on the peddles when you're clear of the kelp.