Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Praise God you were there Greg!!!

excellent job!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Jimmyz123

Great way of staying alert and helping. Knowing the signs of stroke can save someones life. A friend of mine survived a stroke and she's back to teaching now because those around her picked up on the signs of stroke and got her the help she needed.

Greg and Tony you guys Rock.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #23
GregAndrew

Thanks for the Kudos guys, but what is most important to both of us is that you get a mental picture of what we encountered. So that you can identify and help out the next person in that situation.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
Gigafish

Very informative post. For all the LOOKILOOS that tread this post without contributing I hope you find the time. Different views and opinions are greatly appreciated. Who knows we may find ourselves needing help one day.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #25
Cbad Mike

Excellent post.... Thanks.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
FARRIER

You guys did the right thing. Often people dont want to ask for help even in a dire situation due to pride or whatever reason. This time the person was unable to communicate their needs. One sided weakness or paralysis is a tell tale sign of a stroke. Often the speech will be slurred and the face will droop as well. A simple test is to ask someone to raise their eyebrows. It is very evident with fine muscles such as those in the face or hand. I have been working on an ambulance since 2004 and have seen countless people having strokes. When it comes to getting help for them time is tissue in this case brain tissue. Which cannot grow back. I applaud you for helping this person. You might have saved this persons quality of life for the rest of their natural life. Sometimes it takes courage to intervene with a stranger so thanks for stepping up big! On another note please do your best to find out who the instructor was for that class and write as many letters as you can to whomever the licensing agency is for that area to ensure this is investigated. If this person suffered a stroke and was being ignored by staff that is a serious issue which requires some teaching for the instructor in first aid.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Gone_Ballistic
Junior

Great Job!

Excellent post guys and great job giving aid to someone in distress. My wife and I launched there 2 saturdays ago and ran into probably the same idiot instructors. We backed in with the truck to unload and were greeted by an instructor who said " I bet your tired of lugging around those heavy kayaks!" Nope I love my yak thank you! They had a trailer and 3 trucks down there a couple sawhorses for working on boards and 25-30 boards against the rails and on the dock. I felt like I was walking thru their shop to launch. and they were there several hours running classes. They owe you a big thanks doing their job and helping their student! As an industrial firefighter I know it takes courage to step forward and do the right thing, you guys probably saved that man's life!
Gone_Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote