Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Watch out for OC waters right now, there's lots of poo out there!
Thanks for the heads up!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #22
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Stuck on live bait...

So if I want to try a Rapala on the bottom for halibut, what kind do I use, and how do you rig a lure for the bottom? Jorge?

Janine
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #23
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Where are you going to target them 45?
Greg, do you use a Bounce ball setup, or something similar? I've used 2 different setups and like them both, but the Bounce ball variation seems to be more successful to me.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #24
GregAndrew

My personal opinions on your questions are based on my experience, and the fact that I fish a leadered hook(as opposed to Drop Shot or Dropper Loop) .
1) The clearer the water, the more I will lean toward Fluoro and or lighter test (20# min). Most harbors will not matter though.

2) Whichever hooks you can keep from foul hooking the bait, and will stay in the bait. However, I don't use Circle hooks because the fish needs to be swimming away from you to properly set them. My experience is that this will not always happen before the fish loses interest for some reason. I also do not prefer treble hooks for a leadered setup either. I believe they can feel them in their mouth, and picky fish will spit them out if they have the chance to (which a leader can do).

3) Bait is kind of tricky, because it involves keeping track of what is available at the time. If live Squid is around, especially on the bottom, there is nothing more effective. Don't be afraid of doubling or tripling it up either. In the absence of this, I would want either Greenback Macks or large to jumbo Sardines. Next down the list would be Smelt, Spanish Macks or Croaker. Then Lizzard fish, if they are the only bait around, they can be very effective. Generally, live bait of any tier is better than dead bait of the tier above. But, that does not mean to keep checking your bait every 5 minutes (keep it down in the "zone").

4) I believe that Halibut can feel irregularities like Trebble hooks and dragged sinkers, so the less you can use to stay on or just above the bottom the better. I have seen a lot of swallowed baits get spit right back out on video for no other apparent reason. And this only using 2/0 - 3/0 wire hooks and usually 4 - 6oz sinkers.

That said, I know that Tony does very well with an unleadered setup with heavier sinkers and Trebble hooks. So go figure?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #25
GregAndrew

I don't fish a bounceball, although my camera setup would be close except for the actual bouncing. But that is only my preferred setup for taking video, not fishing.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #26
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
3) Bait is kind of tricky, because it involves keeping track of what is available at the time. If live Squid is around, especially on the bottom, there is nothing more effective. Don't be afraid of doubling or tripling it up either. In the absence of this, I would want either Greenback Macks or large to jumbo Sardines. Next down the list would be Smelt, Spanish Macks or Croaker. Then Lizzard fish, if they are the only bait around, they can be very effective. Generally, live bait of any tier is better than dead bait of the tier above. But, that does not mean to keep checking your bait every 5 minutes (keep it down in the "zone").
Right on Greg! This should be printed in a book I tell'ya!

There is no #1 bait for all situations. I know the so called "#1 bait" has been printed and talked about before, but if you don't have that squid pinned on, on a squid bite...your not going to catch sH**.

If your starting out trying to catch halibut, best advice I can give is to just to get out there as much as possible. In time you will learn the technique that works best for you, and you will also meet people that will help you on your way. We're all still learning how to catch these things...and will be probably forever, and that's part of the fun.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
45user

Quote:
My personal opinions on your questions are based on my experience, and the fact that I fish a leadered hook(as opposed to Drop Shot or Dropper Loop) .
1) The clearer the water, the more I will lean toward Fluoro and or lighter test (20# min). Most harbors will not matter though.

2) Whichever hooks you can keep from foul hooking the bait, and will stay in the bait. However, I don't use Circle hooks because the fish needs to be swimming away from you to properly set them. My experience is that this will not always happen before the fish loses interest for some reason. I also do not prefer treble hooks for a leadered setup either. I believe they can feel them in their mouth, and picky fish will spit them out if they have the chance to (which a leader can do).

4) I believe that Halibut can feel irregularities like Trebble hooks and dragged sinkers, so the less you can use to stay on or just above the bottom the better. I have seen a lot of swallowed baits get spit right back out on video for no other apparent reason. And this only using 2/0 - 3/0 wire hooks and usually 4 - 6oz sinkers.

That said, I know that Tony does very well with an unleadered setup with heavier sinkers and Trebble hooks. So go figure?
So you're not using trap rig?
Thank you!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #28
jorluivil

As you can see there is no true 'halibut rig'. Be it artificials vs live bait, torpedos vs bounce balls, j-hooks vs circle hooks or drop shot vs 3-way swivel........they all seem to work. I think the key thing to this rigging question is that you have to go with What you like and What works for you.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #29
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
As you can see there is no true 'halibut rig'. Be it artificials vs live bait, torpedos vs bounce balls, j-hooks vs circle hooks or drop shot vs 3-way swivel........they all seem to work. I think the key thing to this rigging question is that you have to go with What you like and What works for you.
Bingo!!!

I use two single hooks on my trap rig.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #30
ful-rac
Emperor

I use trebles on my trap rigs, heavy wire, J hook the whole deal. It's funny we all fish differently but we all still manage to catch halibut frequently.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #31
45user

Quote:
Bingo!!!

That was my guess!
Ok so it may sound stupid but what size hooks do you use?
I know that there's not one method that works but I believe you copy from the experts and you can't go wrong. I mean that's what learning is all about right?
Thank you again!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #32
ful-rac
Emperor

hook size and type is at your discretion, generally I would not use one that's too big or too small for your bait.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
ful-rac
Emperor

don't over think things...it's really not that complicated.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Thank you guys for all the info . I have always considered myself a breast man. But I am really feeling the urge to get my hands on a big BUTT!
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #35
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
don't over think things...it's really not that complicated.
Got ya!
Thank you!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #36
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Bingo!!!

I switched to single hooks due to catching a nice Sand Bass a year ago that took the main hook in the jaw, but the trebble stuck in the outside belly part of the fish. Any time you use a trap hook you run that risk, but less chance of it with regular bait hooks.

I'm no pro, but that's what works for me, and like you said, use a rig setup that your are comfortable with and works for you.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #37
Samcro

This thread has some great information for halibut rigs. I'm curios as to why the torpedo sinkers is preferred over the cannonball sinkers? Does the shape of the sinker affect the presentation of your bait? Thanks for sharing.
Samcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #38
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcro View Post
This thread has some great information for halibut rigs. I'm curios as to why the torpedo sinkers is preferred over the cannonball sinkers? Does the shape of the sinker affect the presentation of your bait? Thanks for sharing.
Personally I find that the torpedo sinkers don't snag as much, also something I have done is if the weight you are using is not enough, you can connect another weight to the bottom end of the torpedo weight.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
Thank you! So do you paddle to drag your rig or let the current takes you-drift?
I usually don't paddle. I cast, let it sink , once it hits bottom I put reel in gear then I then drift with current
DON'T cast!
DON'T let your bait drop to fast!........ AND
DON'T let too much line out once your at the bottom!

I know these things may sound overly simplistic but they will really help with your bait presentation and save you a lot of headaches with your rig getting tangled up.

Just a few tips I picked up from some of these BUTTheads!

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post
DON'T cast!
DON'T let your bait drop to fast!........ AND
DON'T let too much line out once your at the bottom!

I know these things may sound overly simplistic but they will really help with your bait presentation and save you a lot of headaches with your rig getting tangled up.

Just a few tips I picked up from some of these BUTTheads!

Thanks for the reply.
So you just drop, let it sink slow and drift?