Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I leave all the hooks on my sabiki. For fast moving bait schools, I want to get as many as I can when I find them. I also use a tool like this to quickly remove them.

Hold the tool upside down from how it appears, then pull your line down through the slot until the bait/hook catches the loop then a quick pop with both hands releases the bait. Essentially it holds your hook upside down.

Exactly, you want to get the maximum amount of bait when you can, especially when the bait is scarce. Hopefully you can deal with 5 or 6 sardines or macs at the same time otherwise you might be in trouble.... When unhooking I'll unhook from bottom to top.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
Good advice on the sabiki rigs. Ive seen sabiki rods out there but i wanna try and utilize what I already have if possible. What do you suggest I use? A light rod with a lil spinning reel?
I have seen some use those rods and they keep the sabikis in order but I just use an old rod that I had with a jigmaster reel. Nothing major, very simple, and it does the job. A spinning rod would work for sure.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
Redeyejedi

can wrap them around a wine/champagne cork...esp with the halved-biki's.
wrap stick hook, wrap. begin with line end finish with the terminal side, so when unwrapping, can use weight to assist unravel...i dunno, works for my, ymmv.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?p=111001

You can search the forums for this kind of info.... it has all been discussed.

google: bigwatersedge.com sabiki

forget the sabiki rod.... cut you your sabikis in half.

There are numerous reasons why I prefer to cut sabikis in half (3 hooks)

1) It's much easier to remove 3 big macs in a timely manner and get them safely into the bait tank than 6 of them. This allows you to get your sabiki back into the water fast allowing you to catch 3 more baits before the school is gone.

2) 6 mackerel on a sabiki tangles OFTEN. If you're tangled you're not catching more bait. Tangles can be really bad and frustrating. The school will be long gone by the time you untangle the sabiki. Many times ONE tangle will RUIN your sabiki and you will have to throw it out.

3) If you catch 6 baits at a time the last fish you remove from hooks #5 are 6 not going to be in very good condition and will die faster than the rest.... so in the end you only get 3 or 4 good baits anyways!

4) depending on how much time there is between fishing trips your sabiki hooks might rust: the barbs (which are tiny) will disappear.

So not only do you avoid tangles, but you end up with better quality bait, and you get two sabikis for the price of one.

In reality sabiki rods just take up a spot that could be filled with another functional rod. It's NOT hard to cut off and retie a sabiki.

A 3 hook sabiki set up with a 1 oz war baits lead head is easy to store, won't tangle or foul your other rods, and can be cut off and tied back on in a pinch should you need another rod for something other than bait.

Plus: for the people really worried about not catching 6 baits at a time, the lead head you will often catch a forth mackerel.

The best bait rod set up I have found is a fast action light weight conventional bass rod combined with a small bait caster FILLED with braided line.... when making bait )especially with squid) it is important to fish with braided line.... it is critical to feel the squid when they hit your jig. When I switched from mono to braid my squid catching increased significantly.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
GregAndrew

Yes, if your main target is Macs then by all means limit the mess. However, some of us prefer to target other baits and/or fish areas where Macs are not so plentiful as La Jolla. Ask anybody that has fished San Onofre from a kayak more than a few times how scarce bait can be and how fast it can be gone. With the release tool and a basic skill level, you should have a full sabiki cleaned in less than 10 seconds. Besides, having 6 hooks is no guarantee that you will be hauling in 6 baits each time.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote