Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #21
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Not fall so much as Winter, I think it's best before a Santa Ana event where you have a weak high pressure system over the Mojave that's not strong enough to generate a Santa Ana but strong enough to stop any onshore winds.

I'm not a meteorologist but the deal is that when the desert warms the warm air rises and the resulting low surface pressure pulls in cooler denser air off the ocean which passes over us at the coast. In the early fall we have a slightly cooler air temperature on the coast, but the desert is still warm and offshore outside the islands the water and air get colder faster do to the cold California Current. The greater the temperature difference between the desert and offshore the more intense the displacement effect. So when the desert warms up in the fall the effect is intensified due to the colder temps offshore.

Catalina Channel acts like a funnel, channeling the air (wind) coming in from offshore increasing it's speed as it comes down the channel. Though I'm not sure how all the variables work sometimes cold air from offshore rushes through the channel displacing warmer air on the coast, and it can become a sustained longer pattern.

I know that September October it can get really bad much worse then I've seen it in the Summer. The winds can be more intense and last longer. It's almost like a mini cold front the cold air comes in from offshore and then continues to blow for a extended period. If I had to guess I would say the offshore air is cold enough it continues to displace the warmer desert air even at night after the sun goes down and the thermals stop, but it only seems to happen in the fall.

In the winter the temps are more balanced because the California Current does not get that much colder, so the sea and land temperatures get more similar and things get balanced out. Then when you then get a weak high pressure system in the desert (like before a Santa Ana) it blocks the cold air from coming in from offshore, creating a extended period with no wind. Too much pressure and you get the reverse winds or Santa Anas, but with the right amount of high pressure you get an extended calm. Supposedly those no wind periods are the ideal times to paddle across but they only happen during the winter not the summer.

At least that's how I think it works.

Jim
Thanks for this info, I learned quite a bit from this post and it really puts things into perspective as far as event planning for an endeavor like this and what to be mindful of.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
battleborn

I thought of this trip a while back and the weather patterns and distance made it rough for my friends to jump on board such a trip. I did do a little homework trying to make it a bit more appealing. So let me share what I have.

http://www.catalinafreight.com/Catal...g_Estimate.php

http://www.catalinafreight.com

You can load up your gear. Take the ferry over to the island enjoy a cerveza until your cargo arrives. unload and make way to your camp spots. Or at least thats how I sold it. The price seems reasonable. Hope this gives you an option. Cheers.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:08 AM   #23
easyday

Im in
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #24
tamddo714

you guys should check out this video, he's crossed it 28 times. maybe you guys can message him for tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXmQR5yIIho
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #25
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamddo714 View Post
you guys should check out this video, he's crossed it 28 times. maybe you guys can message him for tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXmQR5yIIho
Someone more tech savvy than me should figure out how to message him. Spent 30mins trying different things but couldn't figure it out.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #26
Fishwhisperer619

Also, its about $40 to ship the kayaks one way so if anyone is interested in that they can also join up that way

Ill be at the rockfish derby on april 5th to meet up with those Interested in the trip. My name is Jesse and ill be in a yellow PA14 with the word CAGUAMA on the side
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote