Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
blitzburgh

Nice work man!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Love the YT in the cooler pic! I dont actually laugh out loud a lot at the computer but this one got me, good thing I was not drinking coffee at the time! Good work!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #23
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwaterho View Post
Nice fish, but who wants to fish around a dozen boats? Sorry this is my first post but I just started fishing la jolla these last few months and have never seen "a dozen" boats on the water, let alone all in the same spot, on a weekday no less? Last week conditions where as nice as I've seen and there where maybe 3-4 kayaks on the water, no boats. Now after 4-5days of people posting fresh reports on here you're telling me there are 12 boats and god knows how many kayaks? on a weekday? Sounds like the reason "everyone knows" is because of us posting fresh reports on this site. Even the kooks over on bloodydecks seem to keep their mouths shut better than us!
Yeap....

And the very next day there were 52 boats in that ONE little spot.

And that's not even as crowded as it gets!
No one is trying to harsh you for being stoked on your first yt.
I just wanted to point out that reports have a direct impact on crowd.

I have a good view of the La Jolla spot from my work and I watch the crowds fluctuate everyday.

It's one thing to be stoked and tell your friends, but the internet is not the place to do it anymore! Thousands of people view these posts daily.... I get it that you guys want to give back and help others get stoked and learn how to fish...

Just remember: this in the WWW

To quote fishdope from last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: "kayakers in La Jolla catching Yellowtail..."

It's not a territorial thing guys. It's about having respect for a limited resource. I guess I care for these fish way too much..... and I hate seeing lazy people rewarded.

Rhyak: You're right, it's no secret that YT and WSB will bite this year, next year, and hopefully the year after... yes the WSB always bite around the time the Fred Hall Show opens in March, that is NO secret. In fact they probably bit good on Feb 7th 1952 as well.

But: MOST people in this world are too lazy to get off their couch. They sit at home and wait for a "report" on the internet. Don't help the lazy idiots (Yes most of these idiots know how to fish and probably fish better than you) that sit at home and waiting for you to do all the ground work!

take care,
Owyn

Last edited by dos ballenas; 02-08-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Ohh look they bit in February of 08 as well

Sorry to whoever this is, saw this as I was coming on the site on the homepage and saw the date so post it, let me know if you want it taken down and id be happy too.
Nice fish Dennis. How have you been? I remember that day in Feb 2008.... I'm glad you were able to put that squid to use!

Last edited by dos ballenas; 02-08-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Nice fish Dennis. How have you been? I remember that day in Feb 2008.... I'm glad you were able to put that squid to use!
Ahh, 2008. I've been good, Owyn. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
carbonbass

Quote:

Yeap....

I have a good view of the La Jolla spot from my work and I watch the crowds fluctuate everyday.

It's one thing to be stoked and tell your friends, but the internet is not the place to do it anymore! Thousands of people view these posts daily.... I get it that you guys want to give back and help others get stoked and learn how to fish...

To quote fishdope from last Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: "kayakers in La Jolla catching Yellowtail..."

It's not a territorial thing guys. It's about having respect for a limited resource. I guess I care for these fish way too much..... and I hate seeing lazy people rewarded.

Rhyak: You're right, it's no secret that YT and WSB will bite this year, next year, and hopefully the year after... yes the WSB always bite around the time the Fred Hall Show opens in March, that is NO secret. In fact they probably bit good on Feb 7th 1952 as well.

But: MOST people in this world are too lazy to get off their couch. They sit at home and wait for a "report" on the internet. Don't help the lazy idiots (Yes most of these idiots know how to fish and probably fish better than you) that sit at home and waiting for you to do all the ground work!

take care,
Owyn
I can respect this.... how did it look today? Is it still a zoo :\. That said when i get my first WSB i will wait till the bite is gone to post it, my next yt will not be posted at all, maybe just shared via PM to friends. This makes a lot more sense than some of the other reasons ive seen not to post. But what i tend to think is, isnt it impossible to hide the bite completely? People on the beach see you roll up with YT, boaters do check LJ and one boater tells 1 friend, he tells the next, even if its not on the web isnt it pretty reasonable to say that at least 50 people will know about it from friends/seeing the bite etc?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
chris138
donkey roper

Congratulations! Great catch! I'm sure there will be many more

Hey Owyn,

In the "cooler" picture you can see small parasites all over the side of the fish. I've seen these on many YT that I've caught in the last 12 months or so.

What types of parasites are these? Copepods? Do they have an adverse affect on the animal's health/quality of the meat?

Also, is there any migratory or life cycle information which can be ascertained from the presence of the parasites on YT?

Not that anybody really cares, but just my 2 cents regarding "posting" and posts about posting:

In case some of you guys didn't know, Owyn happens to work with southwest fisheries and is a resident expert on YT population dynamics. His remarks about the sustainability of our fishery should be taken to heart... he is one of our few advocates as fishermen, in a scientific community which largely views recreational fishing as something to be systematically eliminated. Thanks Owyn!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
GregAndrew

While I agree that loose lips can sink ships, I don't think that is the case here. One guy catching one fish after essentially giving up, after 4 hours of Yoyoing, on a Luna is unlikely to bring out the masses. If that is the case however, then they were already looking for any excuse to come out. More likely it is due to activity like Let's Talk Hookup talking about the LJ YT on the radio the weekend before. To me there is a difference between a fish report and a "bite" report. Now I would not recommend timely posting of multiple exotic catches by one or more anlgers on an open forum. That is my 2 cents anyway.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #29
monkeyfishturds

Quote:

Yeap....

take care,
Owyn
If Ryak hadn't seen all the posts lately, he would have still been on the couch you speak of. I feel sorry for our fishery now that people don't
care.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Hey next january to March there will be a YT bite at LJ. Just so you know!!!

PS there will be a WSB bite coming up, just wait and post over on BD.

Deal with it or get lost.

Regards,
Ryan
X2
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
While I agree that loose lips can sink ships, I don't think that is the case here. One guy catching one fish after essentially giving up, after 4 hours of Yoyoing, on a Luna is unlikely to bring out the masses. If that is the case however, then they were already looking for any excuse to come out. More likely it is due to activity like Let's Talk Hookup talking about the LJ YT on the radio the weekend before. To me there is a difference between a fish report and a "bite" report. Now I would not recommend timely posting of multiple exotic catches by one or more anlgers on an open forum. That is my 2 cents anyway.
I am sorry for the thread jack.

I should have started the conversation somewhere else. My sentiments were directed at the multiple recent posts in general. It was posted on BWE first and then spread to FD and Let's talk hook up...

Trust me, I like to post and I like to read reports. We all do. I'm not trying to tell you guys what to do... I'm just saying that other people are listening.

If you truly respect these fish then be a real fisherman and LIE about where and when you caught it!!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #32
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Congratulations! Great catch! I'm sure there will be many more

Hey Owyn,

In the "cooler" picture you can see small parasites all over the side of the fish. I've seen these on many YT that I've caught in the last 12 months or so.

What types of parasites are these? Copepods? Do they have an adverse affect on the animal's health/quality of the meat?

yeap they're copepods....

http://www.thedorsalfin.com/shark-ne...-sharks-video/

2:02 shows similar ones attached to dorsal fin.

They occur in pretty much all pelagic species from YT to mako sharks. I'm not an expert on parasites, but I don't think they HELP the fish

AS far as hurting the fillets.... nope! I can always sample them for you and report back if you prefer

Also, is there any migratory or life cycle information which can be ascertained from the presence of the parasites on YT?

good question. some parasite have been used to infer migratory patterns in some species, but I don't think it would work in this case. Electronic tagging (a project I'm currently trying to get started) and ort conventional tagging is the only way to address this. Similar studies in New Zealand suggest that YT over 30 pounds have a HOME range

Not that anybody really cares, but just my 2 cents regarding "posting" and posts about posting:

In case some of you guys didn't know, Owyn happens to work with southwest fisheries and is a resident expert on YT population dynamics. His remarks about the sustainability of our fishery should be taken to heart... he is one of our few advocates as fishermen, in a scientific community which largely views recreational fishing as something to be systematically eliminated. Thanks Owyn!

thanks Ryan. now they know where to find me
See you on the water!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #33
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
I can respect this.... how did it look today? Is it still a zoo :\. That said when i get my first WSB i will wait till the bite is gone to post it, my next yt will not be posted at all, maybe just shared via PM to friends. This makes a lot more sense than some of the other reasons ive seen not to post. But what i tend to think is, isnt it impossible to hide the bite completely? People on the beach see you roll up with YT, boaters do check LJ and one boater tells 1 friend, he tells the next, even if its not on the web isnt it pretty reasonable to say that at least 50 people will know about it from friends/seeing the bite etc?
hahah today? Looked STORMY!

Yeah, the network runs DEEP.... but the internet (aka fishdope) is the

It's not that hard to hide fish at the launch! Just ask RK

Last edited by dos ballenas; 02-08-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
ZUMAN

Guess some forget the rules here
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=14207

I rather hang out with a group of chicks on their periods,
Than see the "lynching" that Ryan is getting for posting 1 fish!!

Being one of the Malibu guys,I see these so called "timely reports",
I don't get in my car at 3 am and haul ass down south to STEAL anybodies fish!

That being said,I recall the handful of timely reports on our"BU" WSB bite.
And all the "kudos" and way to go's for those reports.
Seems like a territorial thing perhaps
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Seems like a territorial thing perhaps

pretty much is a territorial thing all bs aside...dudes act like they own la jolla hahaha...plus its winter time dudes like to keep the bite on the low because the yts are huge home guards...not that i care i post up when i catch yts i do it for the yakers that dnt get to pull on a beautiful fish.
Closed Thread