Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
jorluivil

I think I just discovered an unorthodox style of surf landing on a yak. For several months I've been thinking about how to prevent getting that yard sale (getting tossed) and today when I was about to land at LJ I decided to finally give my idea a try. As soon as I got close to the area where the waves were cresting I flip the yak around and paddled backwards, this allowed me to see all the waves as they were building, cresting and breaking. I had two waves come in that I know would make me surf, and probably get tossed. When these two waves hit I was able to slightly paddle forward and once the wave passed me I started to paddle backwards again.......worked better than expected.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Let me tell you guys, it only takes one bad surf landing to tell you that you better put everything inside the kayak before you make a yard sale. I had a few things float in the water, put some where a pain to get to because the huge waves. Next time ill store everything i have inside the yak and tie the rods parallel to the side of the yak. I am surprised none of my rods broke on that rough landing. I have not once flipped going out into the surf, but i am terrible at surf landings.

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-04-2011 at 11:09 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Let me tell you guys, it only takes one bad surf landing to tell you that you better put everything inside the kayak before you make a yard sale. I had a few things float in the water, put some where a pain to get to because the huge waves. Next time ill store everything i have inside the yak and tie the rods parallel to the side of the yak. I am surprised none of my rods broke on that rough landing. I have no once flipped going out into the surf, but i am terrible at surf landings.

I WILL NOT UNDERESTIMATE A SURF LANDING AGAIN.

Next time everything i can fit will go inside my yak no matter what!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I think I just discovered an unorthodox style of surf landing on a yak. For several months I've been thinking about how to prevent getting that yard sale (getting tossed) and today when I was about to land at LJ I decided to finally give my idea a try. As soon as I got close to the area where the waves were cresting I flip the yak around and paddled backwards, this allowed me to see all the waves as they were building, cresting and breaking. I had two waves come in that I know would make me surf, and probably get tossed. When these two waves hit I was able to slightly paddle forward and once the wave passed me I started to paddle backwards again.......worked better than expected.
That's an interesting idea.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
taggermike

I got cavalier in small surf in LJ last year, got spun, then flipped, and lost a rod. I didn't stow or leash any thing and I paid for it. I have wiped out before but I had things secured and didn't lose anything. I've surfed launched at places that aren't popular with yakkers, like south Imperial Beach, Salt Creek, Baja beach breaks, South Oceanside and in wierd 2 way shore pound along the Outer Banks of NC. I'm not saying this to brag, only to say that I have tried about every way there is to land a kayak in a wide variety of conditions. Surfing in, riding the back of a wave in, sprint paddling to the sand, and getting out and wading in. Like jorliuvil sayed, backing the kayak in can work pretty well. Once in Oside the conditions changed so radically that I thought about paddling all the way to the harbor. Instead I stowed every thing as best I could and just let the kayak wash in to the beach and swam in after it. Desperate messures. The point of this post is to say that if you admit to being "bad at surf landings" the way to get better is to practice. Leave all your gear on the beach and just get out there. Crashing isn't too intimadating when your kayak is empty. That way you'll know what your kayak will do in situations where you'd never want to be while fishing. OK, I rambled. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
YakMedic

After losing a rod last year everything is stowed in the hull on launch and landing. I can't afford to lose equipment.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
JoeBeck

Go out and surf your kayak, no gear for an hour or so. I actually enjoy doing this yearly. No more yard sales.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:

This is actually a really good way to handle larger surf. I saw a guy at LJ in a sit-inside yak do the same thing. As he got to the surf line he spun the kayak so the bow faced the waves and backed in. The bow sliced cleanly through the incoming waves. When he got the sand he stepped out of the cockpit as if there had been no waves at all.

If you have a yak with peddles or a rudder, you will probably want to secure those in the up position before trying this trick.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Billy V

You mean like This.... ? . Risky stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ac6zpUad84
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post

Yes and No. Once you see the wave coming you need to paddle forward, the guy in the video paddled backwards, twice.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:

I think I'll keep my nose pointed at the beach, I like to see where I'm going when a wave is pushing me. If you keep your down hill edge up while sliding down the wave you should be able to surf it in without getting rolled. If you let that downhill edge down you will roll.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
wiredantz

Quote:

OMG THAT WAS ALMOST LIKE MY FLIP LAST SATURDAY!!! EXCEPT I was facing the beach and the kayak flipped over my head as I flew forward WITH A 5 ft surf and ended up in 4 ft of water. Any closer and i think my rods would of broken. I am going to walmart today to buy some pool noodles. (just like that guy who put his rods on the noodles as he took off and landed.)

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-05-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
ratdog

Tommy,I know I shouldn't reply here because now its gonna happen... I have been lucky enough to have never flipped. If I'm worried I go in facing the beach but keep my legs out the sides to slow myself down then try to catch the back of the wave in. If it looks too big I just do A uturn in my truck and don't go out. Now that I have a Hobie its not as easy as when I had a prowler and stowed everything.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
T Bone

Dylan is 7 months Cancer free.Thank you Jesus!

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Dylan is 7 months Cancer free.Thank you Jesus!
Praise God for this blessing for you and your family.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
GregAndrew

I keep the front of my kayak pointed toward the beach, but my attention toward the oncoming swell/waves. If I am going to catch a wave big enough to pearl me, then I back paddle through it. Everything else can be handled by my paddle and or legs over the sides. For the really nasty stuff, I take my camera to the beach and wait for someone else to provide my $10,000 Americas Funniest Video entry.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
wiredantz

I found this video: I did it all wrong!!! You are suppose to lean into the wave!!!!

No wonder i totally flipped!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPL1vPW25kg

and this is what not to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2pD_TXFb8&NR=1
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I WILL NOT UNDERESTIMATE A SURF LANDING AGAIN.

Next time everything i can fit will go inside my yak no matter what!
I hear you there.

Quote:
Very interesting technique. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
Go out and surf your kayak, no gear for an hour or so. I actually enjoy doing this yearly. No more yard sales.
You know, I was actually thinking about this. Also, maybe going out in the harbor and intentionally flipping my yak (with a buddy close by of course!) and try to flip it back up right. I just want to be prepared in case of an accidental flip out in deep water or in the surf.

I used to have a Malibu Extreme and NEVER felt like I was going to flip it while out on the water. Being a Hobie Revo owner now, I've had a couple of outings where I was hung up on structure, pulled a little to hard and felt myself going going too far over to one side. Scary for a second, but got me thinking; how successful would I be at getting it up right if I did flip?

Maybe I think too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSURF View Post
Tommy as long as you have been on the Yak i doubt you dump much!

JP
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but don't take my lack of flipping as sign of a well skilled kayaker, but more of a cautious one.

When we hitting the LB islands again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
Tommy,I know I shouldn't reply here because now its gonna happen... I have been lucky enough to have never flipped. If I'm worried I go in facing the beach but keep my legs out the sides to slow myself down then try to catch the back of the wave in. If it looks too big I just do A uturn in my truck and don't go out. Now that I have a Hobie its not as easy as when I had a prowler and stowed everything.
Doing the uturn is a difficult decision after driving 100+ miles to get there. Luckily, I haven't had to do it 'yet', but I hear you on that one.

Thanks John.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote