Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
MrPatrick

LJ 5/30 report, "Surfs up Dude"

We stayed the weekend at the LJ Shores Hotel. I brought along my kayak and minimal gear, just glad to get on the water. The launch was a breeze as the tide was way out. I brought a surface iron outfit, a lucanus outfit- Vendetta rod and calcutta and a Toro with a brand new Quantum Kayak rod. The surface iron caught nada, the quantum caught kelp and lost my megabait and the Vendetta caught two really nice sandbass. I'm guessing one at four pounds and one at around 5+ pounds. I think I found a sandie spawning ground, they were from 50' to 120' in the area where they were caught. I gave them to a group of guys from north of here to go along with the Hali they caught. Nice pull on the vendetta rod.
Paddle back was brutal, wind and current was strong. It was a blast anyway. The surf was mixed with easy sets and some 4 footer sets. I managed to time it perfect and came in totaly dry. Many that came in wern't that lucky. My wife and I spent a good part of the day sitting on our 2nd floor balcony drinks in hand ,guessing which tourist yakker was going to flip and get clocked in the head.
Great way and place to spend a staycation.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
semiwrecker

so about this spawning ground you speak of...
semiwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
tim4kayak
Junior

What's the damage?

I would like to stay there with my family while my house gets tented for termites. What is a typical room rate on the weekdays?
tim4kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
MrPatrick

Hotel

Sorry it took so long to reply about the rate on the hotel. The rooms start at 189 per night. Steep, but you can wake up and go down to the underground parking and unload your yak from the roof of your car. I do mean car. The hotel is old and the parking structure has a low ceiling. They claim a clearance of 6'3". It might be possible to lock your yak to something in the garage, like the wakeboard boat on the trailer in the far corner of the garage. The staff is very nice and I am sure they would try to accomodate a yak. Bring wheels and you can roll to the launch in minutes. Then lock the wheels to the pileings at the left of the launch.
As for where the sandie spot was, I can only guess. I do not have a gps so the best description would be: north of the launch, out from the pier and past the point distance wise going west. Not exact but i was watching the finder and the drift of the Lucanus.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote