Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Harbor caught halibut
Yes 21 84.00%
Naaaa 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Worms/parasites aren't the problem, its the toxins from the bays you can't see or cut out that's problematic. There is a study floating around somewhere about how bad SD bay is. I probably wouldn't eat anything out of there. http://www.sdcoastkeeper.org/learn/fishable/sediment
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

Bugs...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Worms/parasites aren't the problem, its the toxins from the bays you can't see or cut out that's problematic. There is a study floating around somewhere about how bad SD bay is. I probably wouldn't eat anything out of there. http://www.sdcoastkeeper.org/learn/fishable/sediment
WOW...how about some of those big resident Bugs ...some of these guys are over 20 or 30 years old. Cockroaches Del Mar.
The EPA...or whats left of it...LOL...has only been around a relatively short while...and the Navy and local commercial businesses have been dumping toxins in there for years....!

Eating the local/resident fish is not wise...but as Andy said...and I agree...a lot of the other smaller harbors have the fish moving in to spawn.
I can't catch Halibut in the harbors most of the year as well as I can in the spring and early summer...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
NICKWORN

LMAO

So all of us who are eating Lobster from the BigBay are going to die!!

Best thing I've heard all day!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Just eat the halibut...unless there is something visually wrong with them...3 eyes and 2 tails would be a little red flag...I guess I'm lucky, as I have never seen or caught one with 3 eyes or 2 tails yet...

As long as they look good, I don't see any problem with eating them. Worms are just a fact of life, they are easy to spot, just pick them out or cut them out. Here's a tip...when the fish are alive the worms are usually located in the guts of the fish. After the fish dies the worms start to migrate into the meat. So clean them and or gut them asap, otherwise like I said...pick them out.

I wonder if cannibals from the amazon would eat us....? Or if they would worry about all the chemicals, drugs and antibiotics, smog and plastic surgery that people around here have?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

I've eaten halibut from Redondo, Long Beach and San Pedro, but draw the line at MDR. There are big fish in MDR and the are there year round but I don't eat them. Lobsters do not hold the toxins I'd worry about. Last report on them I saw gave them a clean bill of health at all the local harbors.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
NICKWORN

Worm

Wouldn't cooking the fish kill all worms? So are we talking about eating Halibut raw, which i wouldn't recommend out of any bay, but cooked, no need to worry.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Yes cooking them will kill the worms...but who want's to eat parasitic worms, cooked or not! NOT ME!!!!!!