Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
EFISH

Great trip with a good crew! Fished for 6hrs or so, with good views and a steady pick on calicos kept me buzzy. Caught 3 halibut, two that were short and one that looked to be 10-15lbs. As I tryed to rush the gaff shot I ended up tangeling the gaff with my line just above the hook and as the fish freaked out POP goes my line and there went my keeper.. This was my first mother ship trip and will not be my last for sure. To say fishing was slow I will not. Just no yellows or whites. I can't wait to get back out there!!!!!!!
I only would like to ask one thing: If you are heading out on one of these trips please show up early!!! Rember you need to unload your car and get all of your gear to the boat then load the boat. Everyone has different boats and gear so this seems to take some time. Don't hook up your seat or other gear to your yak in the morning, yaks ride on the racks on their sides so all that stuff gets in the way as the crew loads the yaks on the rack. Saw a deckhand almost get hit in the head a few times by seat buckles and other stuff falling from yaks. Ok one more thing when your yak comes down and it's time to get in the water be ready to load and go as fast as you can. It's not the beach, only 4-5 yaks can be set up at once so that means there are people waiting to to get on the water.
Peace Out
EFISH
EFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
yakrider

always a bunch of cool people on these trips...
always good to put more faces to some of the names...
bunch of cool cats joined us...

fishing was on the slow side (compared to my last two Cat trips)...
could not buy a bite on the plastics...
live bait was the only producer for me today...
10 minutes after launching, my flylined dean gets ripped by this
jackpot contender...3lbs 8 oz...

was thinkin the day was gonna be good based on that first fish
right off the bat...nope...got a handful of just barely keeper sized calicos
the rest of the day...
as we cruised across the beaches...
I couldn't help but try for a butt...got 5 or six shorts on the day...
20...18...21...etc...then finally...minutes before our time ended...
not a whopper...
but a winner just the same....23"er...
turns out it was the exact same weight as the calico...
JACKPOT.....

when I got home I found a stow away....
this bone hitched a ride home with me...
howdhedodat?
(Andy's Boner)

made me laugh, Thanks Andy....
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
mc08066

2nd trip & Logic behind hard hat

Will probably get bombed on this but here it goes. I use the hard hat for a couple of reasons, it is very comfortable and airy. Second it's plastic so water can not soak it (floats also). During hooping season it's easy to attach those red bike lights to the side of the hat so as to avoid the hell I can't see you from boaters . The dread locks (towel) is a harder one. I us it to avoid getting sun burned . So much for that now the Catalina trip.

This was my second trip and although the two trips have produced zero YT or WSB the fishing has been good through out. I caught several calico bass and , one good sized bonita (should of kept for JP) and a mackeral that was pushing 3 lbs (JP maybe, was not going there). All released. The trip had 18 kayakers on it. I was surprised that there were not more returnees from the first trip, only Andy, Eugene and myself. Water was smooth and conditions looked right for future bites. While on the water, I spoke with two guys in a power boat that were down from Apple Valley. Thanks for offering and giving me a couple your live squids. I caught the large mackeral with one and got raked with the others.

The Captain and his team did a great job and thank you for the pictures from the first trip. Great group of guys and gals on this trip.
More Pictures.

Kayaks loaded and ready to go, see what happens when a guy brings his lady, he gets hugs and kisses during the boat ride. I guess I will ask the wife if she wants to come along in the future.

Gear at the back of the boat, big plastic containers are the way to go. I need to remember that for next trip.

Eugene, Josh and Andy discussing their fishing options at launch.

Beautiful backdrop of Catalina, picture does not do it justice.

Pretty easy loading as you can see, and a calm day similiar to first trip.

thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited by mc08066; 06-27-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Add pictures
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
dpliska

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc08066 View Post
Will probably get bombed on this but here it goes. I use the hard hat for a couple of reasons, ...Jimmy
I remember you. You were the kid down they block that got picked up each day for school wearing all your hockey equipment. You know, the little yellow bus with all your team mates. Ironically, I don't remember hearing about any hockey games.

Just kiddin'. I like it. Maybe on the next trip you could get Gabe to wear a police hat and Grego an Indian headdress.

Last edited by dpliska; 06-26-2008 at 03:48 PM.
dpliska is offline   Reply With Quote