Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #11
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Maybe people will finally stop calling horse mackerel Spanish mackerel. I haven't ever caught a Spanish mackerel locally? Have you guys? I'm guessing no, they look like sierra mackerel for reference. Horse or jack mackerel sure, Spanish mackerel? NAH
Kind of confused me when I got here. I have attached a screen shot that explains horse mackerel aka jack mackeral. I just refer it as aji. When I was in japan all the sushi joints served aji raw with Ponzu sauce and green onions on top. Some have them swimming in the tank...i ordered one he scooped it from the tank made sushi then took the head and bones deep fried it and served. The bones, tail, and head when deep fried and salted tastes like a crunchy chip...good with asahi, sapporro, kirin, orion or whatever japanese beer of your liking. ..or just your favorite local ipa. I prefer aji grilled. As the screen shot explains it is not really part of the mackeral family...i don't like mackerel but aji is pretty good. I dip the meat in a vinegar soy sauce mix with hot sauce.

Ask any japanese person about aji and they will tell you they love it. Here's a youtube clip about aji as well. ..it's said that if you can clean aji you can clean any fish..
https://youtu.be/s4_opwO2SgU
Attached Images

pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote