Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
igotpron
Xcoastie

I'd be in to try it out. How does it store?
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post

If Tommy is smart it's used once and purchased again.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
You can keep it for a long time in a freezer. Just take what you are going to use and leave the rest frozen.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
monstahfish

sounds interesting to me. I would try it.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #5
anchovie

I would too.
anchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
buddha

Would the uni goop be more effective than a pint of mashed mackerel in a container? Are they more attracted to sea urchin than cut up fish? I think maybe if we did a comparison it would be interesting to see the results.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Fomen

Mackerel will work fine too. Chum attracts bait fish. However, the Uni Goop in the kayak size makes the process very easy and convenient for you. The product is placed into a tightly knit mesh sack (like an onion sack), deposited into the pint sized container, and flash frozen. When you pull it out of the tub, it's a nice frozen block that has taken on the shape of the container. You simply pull on the top loop of the sack, and the whole chunk pulls out. Tie it off to your rope, then hang it over the side. SZet up your sabiki right after you do this. Byt the time your sabiki is set up, you will already see signs of bait fish activity around your kayak. If you don't use it all, you put it back into the tub, and re-freeze it for the next trip. The nice thing about the goop, is it doesn't stink as bad as chum made of fish. Also, it doesn't contain any blood, so you're less likely to attract undesirable predators. I'm not just shooting from the hip. I've used the product. On my old boat, I had a 15 gallon bait tank. We were targeting sharks one day. So I took some Uni Goop, stopped off of the kelp in La Jolla, and in 20 minutes had enough mackerel, sardines, and smelt to provide chum and cut bait ALL DAY LONG! In a kayak, you need what- 10 mackerel/sardines/smelt tops? The less time you spend making bait, the more time you spend fishing. It exponentially increases your chances of fulfilling your purpose on the water. When I told Tommy my idea yesterday, he told me he thought it was a great idea, and he wanted to meet with me for lunch this coming week to catch up and discuss it further. Since he already makes the product in a gallon size, the transition from concept to product is VERY easy. You guys have my word, the product WORKS! This is a potential God send to kayak fishermen who already spend wayyyyyy too much time trying to make bait.
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Would the uni goop be more effective than a pint of mashed mackerel in a container? Are they more attracted to sea urchin than cut up fish? I think maybe if we did a comparison it would be interesting to see the results.
I would say so.

Long ago, when I first got certification in scuba diving, I would be diving at Channel Islands. I would use a knife to break open an urchin. Fish would swarm me and try to get the little pieces. Once I actually got stung by a spine at my finger tip. It did not hurt at first, but eventually I had to have it opened up to drain the puss. I also had to take a very strong antibiotic, which made me sick.

By the way the urchins kill the kelp by chewing the base of it and make it loose. The less of them the better.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Hunters Pa

Cheap can of cat food from big lots seems to work pretty well. No freezing needed and in single use size
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote