Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #1
MrPukaShell

October will be a little cool in the evenings and mornings. I was up there in June on the loop and killed the trout trolling my Johnson on lead core. I used the chrome and pink one with the little fish tail on it. Another productive lure was the Shimano Dr. Minnow. The Tiger Bar has decent food. The June Lake Brewery had some nice brews. Did not eat out much as we rented a house so I can't chime in on the campgrounds. We fished Silver and June. Make sure you stop at Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop. Their smoked Bacon and Jerky are second to none. I suggest you try the jerky the looks like a hockey puck. You just tear off a little chunk and stick it in you cheek just like chew, that puck will last you all day. You will also want to stop at the Schat's Bakery in Bishop. Great breads, like the Bacon Chili Cheese Bread or the Chili Cheese Bread.

You are close to Yosemite from the June Loop so that is doable.

Would like to know more on the trapping Dad's so I am waiting for a reply on that.

Post lots of pictures and thank you for your service.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
WARRIORMIKE

Virgina Lakes is awesome that time of year, or anytime. Plus they have cabins. Also Mcgee Creek lodge is good too. Reasonable pricing
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
October will be a little cool in the evenings and mornings. I was up there in June on the loop and killed the trout trolling my Johnson on lead core. I used the chrome and pink one with the little fish tail on it. Another productive lure was the Shimano Dr. Minnow. The Tiger Bar has decent food. The June Lake Brewery had some nice brews. Did not eat out much as we rented a house so I can't chime in on the campgrounds. We fished Silver and June. Make sure you stop at Mahogany Smoked Meats in Bishop. Their smoked Bacon and Jerky are second to none. I suggest you try the jerky the looks like a hockey puck. You just tear off a little chunk and stick it in you cheek just like chew, that puck will last you all day. You will also want to stop at the Schat's Bakery in Bishop. Great breads, like the Bacon Chili Cheese Bread or the Chili Cheese Bread.

You are close to Yosemite from the June Loop so that is doable.

Would like to know more on the trapping Dad's so I am waiting for a reply on that.

Post lots of pictures and thank you for your service.
X2

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Mighbe a bit chilly. I was at Gull lake a few years back in October and the mornings were below 30 degrees. May want to consider one of those services where they drop a trailer at a campsite for you. Easier & cleaner for the family and you show up with food and minimal gear as they provide the essentials.

And thank you for your service.

I have a crawdad trap or two if you need to borrow them. Let me know and I will look at what I have tonight
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Whizz Bang

Thanks brother!
No need, I want to own some traps of my own so advice on the better or more effective designs would be solid!
As well as any anecdotes that you have on increased success re: bait or placement.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Whizz Bang

If it starts dipping that cold, I will be forced into a cabin with a quickness.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
steveooo

The Tiger Bar in the June Loop is always good eats, and has cheap pitchers of local brew too.

For trees and privacy there are a few campgrounds along Lee Vining that meet that criteria. Right on the creek though, so make sure kids are water safe. The Mobil Station in Lee Vining right at the Tioga Pass has a killer deli too.

The campsite at Silver Lake has some nice spots. October will probably give you some nice colors on the trees too. In the fall the big Browns start staging at the exit of Silver Lake as it dumps into Rush Creek. Throw big jerk baits for them.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
FISH11

Silver Lake is awesome and has a state park with very few amenities or a private park for RV's and has cabins and a restaurant. It is really close to Lee Vining and the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite Park. You could go up the pass and do a day stay at Yosemite and come back down to Silver Lake it is located on the June lake loop. Here is a link to the private RV and cabin campground. http://silverlakeresort.net/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOPR0043.jpg (48.4 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0357.jpg (53.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0360.jpg (51.2 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 08-18-2015 at 10:39 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
The Tiger Bar in the June Loop is always good eats, and has cheap pitchers of local brew too.

For trees and privacy there are a few campgrounds along Lee Vining that meet that criteria. Right on the creek though, so make sure kids are water safe. The Mobil Station in Lee Vining right at the Tioga Pass has a killer deli too.

The campsite at Silver Lake has some nice spots. October will probably give you some nice colors on the trees too. In the fall the big Browns start staging at the exit of Silver Lake as it dumps into Rush Creek. Throw big jerk baits for them.
The grant lake marina/rv park is nice and allows tent camping. They have showers and the shore fishing is good
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote