Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Sharkbait123
Junior

Rookie who could use some safety advise

Hello everyone,

I am new to ocean kayaking. I want to fish the Point Loma/La Jolla kelp beds. Could I trouble you for some advise about any safety concerns I may not know about? Sharks precautions are one of them. I am a terrified of em, but can't let that stop me from fishing. Thank you. Also, I heard some guys talking about bleeding fish while on a kayak. Seems like a bad idea to me, or an I over-thinking this? any help would be appreciated.
Sharkbait123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
easyday

Forget about the sharks and just go fish...
Old 06-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Caseym

SharkBait 123 (man maybe you should worry),
If you're that freightend, Ya, either forget about it, then sh@! yourself if u see one...I've seen two since I started in October...or come up with a plan for if u do. My plan is systematic and each move is a calculated act of heroism and bravery. You see, when I first see the shark I sh@! myself, then I scream very high pitched! People laugh, but hey, guess who's still here to talk about it....
THIS GUY!!
There, I learned you something, now you're just as smart ass me!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
SaltwaterSoul23
Junior

A personal story... I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico. I was a big shark fisherman at the age of twelve I fished out of a prowler 13 ( the same yak I use today) I use to go out with a buddy and we would have a blast hooking up a mullet and going on a sleigh ride of course at the time we didn't know what that was called all we knew was we were in for a long ride. Well one day (still about 12 or 13) my buddy couldn't make a fishing trip so I went out by myself for the first time. Fishing for shark of course. Well we normally went about 1-2 miles so me being new to (off shore fishing) I didn't check the weather report. It turns out that wouldn't have helped me Anyways. But as a was fishing my back was turned to the south east.. I was not aware of my surroundings at all. A tropical storm from hell hit me from behind and all the sudden rain the size of quarters it seemed like was pelting my back so hard I was in pain, and offshore white caps started breaking on me. I was scared out of my mind. I ended up flipping from a rogue wave that I did not see coming. This was the first time I have ever flipped... I was not sure exactly how to flip my yak over.. So in the middle of this hell I suddenly wished I had rehearsed something! But I thankfully figure it out..(at the same time in the back of my mind I'm thinking holy shit I have a chum bucket out and here I am my white ass legs flailing in the water.. Me being so young I'm imedietly worried about my ballsack being chomped on..) but like I said I flip it over and start paddling like hell to get the F out of their! And I realize I am not going anywhere! So I'm like holy S this current is strong as F! I then realize my anchor had fallen out when I flipped. So I proceed to pull it up and make a beach landing 3 miles from where I had launched. I guess the moral of this story is hope for the best expect the worst. And don't worry about sharks.. You'll prolly just get laid Bc you got some sexy scars and a cool story! And I don't think I would of made it without my PFD so that of course as your already know! Tight lines!
SaltwaterSoul23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #5
monstahfish

A few simple things you can do to keep safe;
1. Always wear your pfd
2. Dress for the water and weather(hypothermia is a sh**ty way to go)
3. Practice self rescues and get to know your yak really well in all types of conditions. A good way to do this is to go kayak surfing, which is not only fun but will help with surf launches and landings. I should also tell you never get between the yak and the beach and protect your head if you go over between the yak and shore. Also learn a few paddle braces too youtube should help.
4. Always carry a vhf radio to call for help if you need it(coast guard monitors channel 16)
5. Be aware of your surroundings, forecasts and changing conditions. If you're ever in doubt about what the weather will do, head in you can always go back out.
6. Be able to pump out your yak if it takes on water. It's nearly impossible to stay upright with a hull full of water sloshing around.
7. If you do have a problem, don't panic, assess the situation and solve each problem as they come.
8. Be visible to other boats a whistle or fog horn are nice to have too.
9. Go with someone, preferably with more experience. It will shorten your learning curve and there will be someone there to watch your back.
I may have forgotten some things but these are easy to do and should keep you safe.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait123 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to ocean kayaking. I want to fish the Point Loma/La Jolla kelp beds. Could I trouble you for some advise about any safety concerns I may not know about? Sharks precautions are one of them. I am a terrified of em, but can't let that stop me from fishing. Thank you. Also, I heard some guys talking about bleeding fish while on a kayak. Seems like a bad idea to me, or an I over-thinking this? any help would be appreciated.

I'd be scared!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
driftwood

Are you afraid of playing baseball cause you might get hit? Dude, Don't strike out in life by being afraid!!! SWING and don't worry about the sharks!

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Perspective

So here is a bit of perspective, in 2014 there were approximately 2,700 traffic related deaths in California, a state with a population of 38 Million people, which essentially means that 0.0071% of the population of the state was killed in a traffic accident.

By comparison in 2014 there were 4 shark bites in California, none of them deadly that works out to .000011% of the population

Just by looking at those per/capita numbers it means you are at least 700 times more likely to die in a traffic accident than you are to be involved in a non-fatal shark attack.

These are very basic statistic and they do not take into account many of the specific variables, but generally speaking be glad you don't in Florida, where shark attacks occur more than anywhere else in the WORLD. Also be smart, go with a friend, don't hang bloody fish over the side of the kayak, Don't fish near a seal rookery during their breeding season.

It is natural to worry about sharks, they are very elusive and powerful animals, but they don't want to eat a person, or a kayak, they want a fat blubbery sea lion or seal.

Be safe out there and catch some fish!!

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

No worries

Don't worry about the sharks and just fish it. The kelp beds are amazing and there are a lot of different types of fish out there. I have friends who dive there and all they have ever seen is 7 gills and leopards....no biggie. Easy day and my favorite place to fish. I stay on the outside for awhile and then go right into the kelp beds and drop lures straight down. Tight lines!
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I'd be scared!

Need more proof than this?? /\
Once you hit the water YOU are part of the FOOD CHAIN.
I'd be eskeerd too!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #11
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
Need more proof than this?? /\
Once you hit the water YOU are part of the FOOD CHAIN.
I'd be eskeerd too!

And you aint at the top of the chain
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
Zed
BANNED

So lesson learned is DO NOT pedal a dune(olive?)Hobie.
Got it.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Are you afraid of playing baseball cause you might get hit? Dude, Don't strike out in life by being afraid!!! SWING and don't worry about the sharks!

That's a high quality gif.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
DanaPT

that's a hell of a pitch.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Sharkbait123
Junior

Thank you

Thank you all for your advice. I APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME. F*** it, YOLO. See you out there!
Sharkbait123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait123 View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME. F*** it, YOLO. See you out there!
Awesome! See you out there too. Although, I can appreciate the irony if Sharkbait123 became shark bait.

"Next at 7. A local fisherman name sharkbait123 succumbs to shark bites. His last words, 'F$&k it! YOLO!'"

Last edited by AirborneYak; 06-18-2015 at 05:24 PM.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
nickc5

2 seam city. What this guy said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #18
taggermike

Monstafish nailed it. Great advise in his post. Start out in the bays perhaps and build your comfort zone. Surf skills are a great helpfor safety, saving you gear, and opening up new areas and launched besides LJ shores. Practicing self rescue is vital because eventually you're gonna tip over. You can even practice in a pool.

And as for sharks; just do your thing. Bees, dogs, ladders, slipping in the tub, n choking on grist kill so many more people. I've been yak fishing 15 years, surfing for 35, 10 I'm Humboldt county, spear fished for 15, and been on the water my whole life and have see only seen 1 shark that worried me. Off Nags Head in north Carolina I hooked a 6' black tip with cobia fishing. Cut the line and we went our separate ways. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
mclanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
Awesome! See you out there too. Although, I can appreciate the irony if Sharkbait123 became shark bait.

"Next at 7. A local fisherman name sharkbait123 succumbs to shark bites. His last words, 'F$&k it! YOLO!'"
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #20
ctfphoto

Do you know anything about odds?????

The chance of you getting eating by a shark while on a kayak are about .0000000001 percent plus or minus .0000001 percent.

I do bleed my fish on my kayak because you have to in order to have the best meat. That said, I have had a Mako and a Hammerhead Shark circle me for 15 minutes after bleeding fish. What a super awesome experience that was.

I also saw a great white shark on my second kayak fishing trip when I first started and I was solo. It didn't bother me.

Biggest safety concern on a kayak .........

........ the WIND.

The wind has killed kayakers in the past and will in the future.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote