Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Cabrillo 4-16-11

Launched at 6am from Cabrillo and got bait - a mix of sardines and anchovies. There was a slight breeze, which made the day nice for a clear and sunny day. I dropped a sardine right away and started pounding the sand. High tide was around 8:30 so I had a couple of good hours to fish. In about 20 feet of water I get hooked up and bring in my biggest halibut of the day. It was around 17-18 inches.

I then work the area and hooked another halibut. While reeling it in, I get my line tangled with my dead stick, which then gets hooked on to my mirage drive. I have to untangle the mess and finally got a 12 inch halibut up. When I released my dead stick, I noticed the line didn't go with the drift. I picked the rod up and realized I had another fish on. This halibut was around 16 inches. I worked the area for another shorty and decided to take off to fish the breakwater. All the halibut caught came right before high tide. I got off the water by 11:45.

I saw alot of bait in the water - mainly anchovies. I dropped the chovies from the bait tank down, but they didn't get bit. Only the sardines got bit today.

DFG came by to check out the kayak and to see if I had a license. Lucky they didn't check for the three WSB I had in the hatch. There was also someone at the launch that was doing a survey - he wanted to know what I caught, where I caught it and some other info.

Finally, a cool picture of a midshipman (?). I caught this fishing at Redondo Beach for the Baytubers Tournament.

roby is offline   Reply With Quote