Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
steveooo

Dana 11-26

Went out again to Dana from 6 til 9. 3/4 lazy this time. I payed for parking, bought bait, had the yak with me, but it's a Hobie, so thats how I came up with 3/4 lazy. Bait was good, didn't have a single one roll on me. It was pretty cold, and a pretty stiff offshore wind, which SUCKED! Mini wind whitecaps the whole time I was out. Started to get nice right as I was heading in. As I was driving by the beach on my way home, it looked glassy.

Tried the same areas as I hit 2 days ago, plus shallower, mas shallow as 5 feet, which is where I had most action. Skunked for what I wanted. 2 bass, 1 Scully, 2 Farmed, one mystery fish lost to the kelp, and about a million raked baits.

I have learned in the past couple days that halibut fishing is an artform and a skill. The guys that do it and get fish consistantly, are pretty skilled anglers. Its one thing to get lucky and drop a bait on a halibuts head every once in a while (all of my halibut), and it is a whole different ball game to target halibut specifically, and be successful at it. The batting average for some of the BT guys is pretty insane. I was all over the place today- Lines crossing, snagging bottom due to inattention, farming fish, at one point I had a trap hook embedded in the back of my North Face Jacket. Throw a little wind into the mix, and I was toast.

Oh well, practice makes perfect. Long term weather forecast looks decent, so hopefully I'll get out there again soon. Good Luck

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote