Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
DanaPT

10/29 Dana Point Fish report. . .

10292010. In the water at 5:50 am ish from baby beach.

Bait tank wire malfunction. Unwilling and able to repair so no live-bait purchase as I planned to do (have had tough luck catching the right sized bait). I intended to use live bait for calico's, sand bass and Halibut.

Wind was stiff off-shore then glassed off. At the Headlands, I started slow drifts to and from kelp while casting. Fished the inside waters between kelp and beach casting lead head swim bait around the edges of kelp. I'd take a break and then fished those with lucky joes for bait fish when I saw them (I don't have a fish finder).
Caught nothing.

When looking for Calico in/around the kelp what is a good technique when no live-bait is available?
Casting with lead head and quick retrieve? Problem with letting it fall are unseen stringers I get caught up in.
Is jigging swim bait the better solution? Seems to be less hang-ups.

I noticed significant surface activity around 7:30ish. Perhaps an MC slug or two would have done the trick. The kelp was thick but I would frequently hear a splash and catch glimpse of a tail or body wriggling back into the water. Many appeared to be Calico breaking the surface deep in the kelp.

Made it up to the salt creek point with my drift cast approach. For the Halibut, I set up a 4 oz weighted reverse dropper with a swim bait for the trek back with a slow paddle. Also tossed a metal spoon while on the drift. Nothing.

This is my unfortunate story. If anyone has input, suggestions, ideas, or anything that will help me improve my performance I'd really appreciate it. I don't even like to eat fish, so need not worry, I'll likely toss back what I catch.

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote