Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
djphaneuf
Junior

The One That Got Away

I am a beginner so cut me some slack. Launched at 6. Lots of yaks and lots of boats at LJS. Caught my first squid on sabiki so I thought I would send him below on my iron. Put it down on the bottom and after about 30 min my 20-50 lb rated rod was bendo with tip in the water. Fought for about 10 minutes and finally saw fish coming to surface. At first I thought it was a giant ray but soon enough figured out it was a halibut. Got it gaffed and to side of kayak. Had my hand in its gill and game hook through gill and fastened. Just about to pull it out of the water and try to figure out where to put it (not gonna fit in my Revo hatch) and how to get my iron out of its mouth (swallowed whole) when it erupted and managed to open the game clip and snap my line in a second. I guess I should have read the info on what to do with a man eating halibut after you catch it. Boat next to me caught similar size halibut and said it was bigger than the 35 lber that he caught last night. Totally bummed but happy I at least got to see it up close and personal. Amazing fish!

The waves are getting bigger but was fortunate enough to time it well on the way out and back in.

Feeling more like a farmer than a fisherman,

DP
djphaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote