Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #11
dgax65
Guerro Grande

WSB Fish Tacos

I made some WSB fish tacos for the first time today. In the past I always used rod fish or bass for fish tacos. All in all, it was pretty easy and turned out well. Making the condiments took more time than anything else. Here is what I used:

Fish:
White seabass (tail, rib meat) - approx. 5-6lbs cut into strips
Bread crumbs - 2 bags of Mexican seasoned bread crumbs and a box of panko bread crumbs
Mexican seafood seasoning - I used the brand that North Gate carries, but you can get some stuff from the San Pedro Fish Market that is much better
Hot sauce for seafood.
AP flour
eggs - 9
milk - 1/2 cup

Condiments:
red onion - 1 sliced thinly
cabbage - 1/2 head sliced thinly
jalapeno - 6
tomato - 8
cilantro - 1 bunch
Mexican green onion - 3
Key lime - 20
avacado - 3

Sauce:
Mayonesa
Crema Mexicana
Lime juice - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Mexican seafood seasoning (San Pedro Fish Market)
Seafood hot sauce

Prep:
The fish is cut into slices. The thicker pieces were cut into 3/4" wide strips and the flat pieces were cut into 1-1/2" to 2" wide strips.
Place fish in bowl and coat liberally with salt, Mexican fish seasoning and seafood hot sauce. Mix well to ensure that all surfaces are covered.
Let fish sit in seasoning for at least an hour.
I also bought 2 lbs of 31-40 ct. shrimp. The shells were removed and they were seasoned just like the fish.

Salsa fresca:
Dice red onion, Mexican green onion, jalapenos, tomatoes, and cilantro. Mix together along with lime juice and salt.

Taco veg:
Finely slice (1/8" to 1/4") the cabbage and the red onion. Place in separate bowls
Dice avocado into 1/4" pieces. Squeeze lime juice on pieces to keep from oxidizing

Sauce:
Mix a 16oz. container of Crema Mexican with approximately 1 -2 cups of Mayonesa. Add hot sauce and seafood seasoning as needed for taste. Also add enough lime juice to give the sauce some bite.

Mix eggs and milk to make an egg wash. Set up breading station next to pot for deep frying. Put out three bowls: 1: flour, 2: egg wash, 3 bread crumbs. Heat oil to 375

Dredge fish pieces in flour and then shake off excess. Dip in egg wash and then transfer to bread crumbs. Ensure complete coating with crumbs. Drop fish pieces in deep fat fryer and cook until GBD (golden brown and delicious. Remove from oil and drain on a rack. Cook the shrimp the same.

Serve:
Serve fish pieces (or shrimp pieces) on corn tortillas. (Note: warm tortillas on a comal and then place in a tortilla warmer) Top taco with a drizzle of sauce, cabbage, onion, salsa fresca and diced avocado. Add a couple of lime wedges to the plate.

Best fish tacos ever.