Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #37
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86 View Post
Man, such awesome responses...I love this community!!

I guess I have to come clean with you guys...

I have a bit of a shark phobia, goes WAYYYYY back to seeing Jaws when I was 11...that's what's making me be chicken s--t to go out. I read about the attack on TWO kayakers off malibu in 1989 and it's really spooked me. I know all the facts/figures but couple this attack with the recent 'upending' of that lady off Catalina (man, that could have been REALLY bad) and I'm just kind of paralyzed to go out there. Also, I'm not a veteran fisherman from the boats moving to a yak, I'm a noob period. I'm afraid of getting out there and doing something really stupid....sooooooooo I guess I'm kinda asking if there's a Sunday in the next few weeks when somebody(s) would like to head out there? I live in Rancho Cucamonga and could get up as early as needed to get to La Jolla (I figure that's the candy store right now, yes?)

Thanks again guys for all the GREAT advice. I hadn't even thought about the spectra backlashes...I'm getting better casting my avets, but am still pretty green. I think straight 40 mono for my 2 speed SX will be the way to go for the 'iron launcher'. Same for the bait rig, for now. I have to admit, I'm a little afraid to bring the 9' out there just yet. It is a BEAUTIFUL set up (maroonish ultra seeker with matching red sx 2 speed---I got my wife to 'allow' it since I switched jobs to be closer to home!!!) and I wouldn't want it to go over.

Lastly, how hard is it to get back on the boat? I'm a big 320 6'3" guy and am a little concerned about that. I think I'll practice it out at Puddingstone b4 I go out. Don't have the balls to actually do it in the ocean!

Again, my sincere thanks to you all for helping me out!

mike collins
The average great white youd see out here in california is maximum 16 feet long. Your Xfactor is 14.5 feet long... a Great White attacking you is highly unlikely, your chances of dieing in a car acident on the way to La Jolla is 100x higher than a great white trying to eat you. Keep that in mind. Theres alot worse things out thier that could make a situation get ugly fast.

As a big guy kayakfishing myself...i know thiers things that get in the way(beer gut!). Also weight capacities and harder paddling is just part of the game.

The X-factor is the best choice...for someone your size DONT GET THE BACK HATCH INSTALLED!! trust me, im the same size as you. its given me nothing but problems.

I now fish out of Ocean Kayak - Prowler Big Game, This kayak is pretty sweet, it turns a whole lot easier than an x-factor. But honestly i miss my x-factor more.

The Avet SX is a little light for 40lb, Im fidnign that out myself, Its a great 20lb reel though. I throw Iron from a damn Shimano Cardiff, spooled with 50lb spectra. i woudlnt take my advice :P

Ulua with a good 40lb avet on it cant be beat for throwing iron. but 7.5 to 8 feet max is all you really need.

Lastly, i was in a situation where i fell off the kayak. Water in december is cold!...and a yact had to fish me out of the water, i was too weak to pull myself up...i was in bad shape. Ive made all the worst mistakes so far!!

Drive on down to Dana Point soemtime and well do some fishing! As a Big guy myself i can help answer any questions you have.

- Gino
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote