Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
swinginFish

Dogs - Pavlov - Extinguising Unwanted Behavior

Guys,

This is an old and repeated issue -

One thing I've heard about that was reported to work (I, of course, would never think of trying this ...) was having some dead squid and a zip-lock bag of fresh cayenne pepper handy. When the dogs come by, it's suggested you dip a squid in the cayenne pepper and toss it towards them (but do it downwind - don't want the cayenne pepper blowing in your face - something that, uh, never happened to me). When the squid hits the water, I'm told the cayenne pepper will start to come off and cloud the water as the squid drifts down. If the squid's close to the seal, the seal will likely come by to investigate and, when it does, it will get some of the cayenne pepper on its nose and/or eyes. Not pleasant, this, so while no permanent damage, the pinniped will get the heck out of there just to rid itself of the irritation. Now if it actually eats the peppered squid, well, unless from south of the border, this will be one seal that will likely think twice before coming to another kayak for a handout. Uh, at least, this is what I was told ...
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote