Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Jimmyz123

Leak Detected

So I have taken my new to me Kayak out 6 times now and all but 1 time I did I noticed a hefty amount of water in the hull. I'm not talking a couple of cups worth, I'm talking gallons, obviously making for a more difficult paddle at times, the feeling of sloshing, and not being quite balanced right.

So today I wanted to check the possible areas that I could be getting water from. I plugged the scupper holes on the main deck and filled it with water. Once the water was in the main deck I looked through the bow opening to see if there were any leaks, and sure enough there were, and pretty good at that.

I have circled the two areas that I noticed leaks coming in. The center hatch, which I have been told are famous for leaking, and the secure strap screw holes in the middle of the desk. So wanting to see if there were any more that I could not see, I filled the hull and had it tilted so all the water would fill from the rear to the front. Then I found more leaks from the Rudder area.

the water was coming out one the top and bottom of the Rudder bracket. I drained the water out, the plants loved that, and let the Kayak dry in the areas that I found the leaks and used Marine goop to fill in the holes back at the rudder area, and I put goop on each of the screws that hold the center hatch in place, and also gooped all the way around the center hatch where the lip meets the kayak. Does anyone even use these center hatches for anything? Wondering if i should get a bucket to go in there of something. I also gooped the screws that hold the strap in place in the middle of the deck.

I'll let the goop set for a day and test it again to see if I got the leaks fixed. I was thinking of installing a bilge pump but would like to hold off on that if i don't have to.

Anyone else with the older Prowlers have this issue?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote