Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
taggermike

2/15 J st report

I had some time and a new reel to try out so I launched the kayak at J street about 3:30 and headed out to the channel. Low tide and murky water but the spotties wanted to bite. Got 10 or so smaller models on the 3" smelt swim bait then switched to 5" green flake bass assasins for a few more spotties. This is the sort of strange part; I got a slow heavy bite that turned in to a slow heavy fish that took a minute or so to get off the bottom. I was thinking maybe halibut until I saw a flash of silver. The fish went on another decent run then came all the way to the surface. It was a spotfin croaker I'm guessing wieghed about 5 lbs. I've been fishing SD Bay for 40 years and thought I had caught about every thing there was to catch but this was my first spot fin. Not at all exotic but still cool. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
sterling

Hey Mike. That is cool and huge. Was that your first Spotfin period or just in the Bay. I got one on a 1/2 boat out of Oceanside. I thought they were common? Send me a pm with your phone #, we should get out on the yaks sometime.
Sterling
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

Nice job Mike!!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
kayakhunter

Croakers

I saw a school of about 40 Spot Fin cruising in the surf at La Jolla last weekend, It was pretty sweet. Looked like something you would see in Florida on the flats.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
onetriphudson

Awesome! I grew up fishing J st. Always proud to hear that dirty old backwater can produce a surprise now and then. Between the bones, turtles, jellies and corvina, it's got to be one of the more unpredictble spots.
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
steveooo

Cool
I need to mark that off my species list.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
taggermike

I've speared a few over the years but that was my first spotfin on rod and reel. They're not rare but usually don't eat plastics. Onetrip, you're right there are some surprises in the south bay. I've caught the bonefish, vina, and seen the turtles and hammer heads. I get a kick out of the osprey and enjoy the 5 mph speed limit. Some day I hope to catch the jack creval that very occationally get caught down here. Or who knows what else. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
onetriphudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I've speared a few over the years but that was my first spotfin on rod and reel. They're not rare but usually don't eat plastics. Onetrip, you're right there are some surprises in the south bay. I've caught the bonefish, vina, and seen the turtles and hammer heads. I get a kick out of the osprey and enjoy the 5 mph speed limit. Some day I hope to catch the jack creval that very occationally get caught down here. Or who knows what else. Mike
You gotta be kidding me! There are Jack and Hammers around there too? From the ages of 8 to 15 it was the only spot I could fish consistently within reach of home. It took years to find the sweet spots but once I was mobile enough to use a boat or a kayak I never really looked back. Now I'm 33 and wondering if the place deserves another look!
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote