Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
steamroll

Missing kayaker in Mission Bay..

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...rch-under-way/
Old 04-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
driftwood

SAN DIEGO -- A man's body was found floating near Shelter Island Thursday. The body was found in the water near the 1400 block of Shelter Island. I wonder if its related.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
GunWall Flint
Junior

Thumbs down

dam, always hits home when something like this happens to a fellow yakker.

Safety in numbers.!
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Aaron

shelter island = san diego bay. Kayak was found in mission bay. Unless the yak or the body made a crazy trek around point loma, I doubt it.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

12 foot Malibu would be a Pro Explorer of Stealth 12. The fact that it was found flipped over is not a good thing, otherwise I would guess it was just adrift.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #6
prowlerdude

Wind blew a table over at my house in Clairemont. Hopefullly the kayak blew off a moored boat but who keeps fishing ear in a stored yak?
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
bigbarrels

Just received a call from a guy name Scott, who plucked me from the water last week off La Jolla, telling me about the kayak. I saw this post yesterday but figured it was a 12 ft Red Malibu in the bay.....So, I decided to give the Coast Guard (then to the lifeguard headquarters) a call to see if maybe this was a 15 foot XFActor instead of a 12 foot red Malibu.....I described to them my setup and it turns out the kayak is actually my XFactor that I sank on 4-19 and it ended up on the Mission Bay Jetty...not in the bay......Crazy stuff I figured some fish had a new home on the bottom but it must not have reached the bottom......so I'm on my way to pick it up. Apparently it is trashed but the seat, fishfinder, baittank, a broken fishing pole, and who knows what else. I'll see what I can salvage! Maybe Malibu kayaks would be kind enough to make a trade Thankfully there isn't a missing kayak fisherman in San Diego on a 12 foot Malibu!

Tom

Last edited by bigbarrels; 04-30-2010 at 11:21 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
walrus

BIGBARROWS BALLADfficeffice" />>>
He heard a mermaid whisper “come with me, I can tell you love the sea”.
He said, “I love my wife and she loves me, you and I can never be”.
>>
With a sudden splash his kayak sank, he felt a tug on his leg and then a yank.
He kicked free and was afloat , He looked around for a boat.
Two boats were near, but when he yelled for them they did not hear.
The boats were soon out of sight, and he wondered if this is where he’d spend the night.
>>
He heard a sound, it was out to sea, what he heard was a shout of glee.
He saw a skiff with a rod bent, and knew he could get there before they went.
With a determined stroke he swam toward the small bobbing boat.
Getting near the paddle he waved, and moments later he was saved.
>>
So when you fish, remember what those who love you wish.
They want you to come back, and be prepared for emergencies on your yak.
And always remember to put your fingers in your ears, if you should hear a mermaid whisper
“Come with me, I can tell you love the sea”.
>>
Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring me to:>>
Attach a vhf radio to my PFD.
Attach a whistle to my PFD.
Secure a bilge pump within reach.
Attach a strobe to my PFD.
Always WEAR my PFD.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
bigbarrels

So just got from picking up my kayak and here are some photos. Crazy stuff! The kayak ended up in front of the Lifeguard Headquarters in Mission Bay yesterday morning around 1030......I thought it was a new home on the bottom for some sort of critter being that it went vertical and disappeared like a scene out of Titanic (without the people flying buy, muscians, or romance) Everything on the deck was pretty much removed except one pole holder and, the seat, FF mount, GPS transponder, compass, and the leash for paddle. I also got back my bait tank, sump pump, billy club, and VHF radio (doesn't work) that was tangled up in wires of kayak.....the kayak has some new stick marks on it and the only hole is in the back where the rudder was torn out......I lost my center hatch lid which tells me when I flipped that wasn't locked down and secured (i think I turned one or two latches), which then allowed the water to fill rapidly and finish the job....so then my VHF radio was sucked into the kayak (no wonder I didn't see it) and got tangled with the wires....I secured the front hatch after opening it and didn't secure the middle before it flipped.....probably better that way in my case due to the fact I would have clinged to a kayak drifting south and would have moved out of the fishing grounds.....but who knows.....Anyhow, I think this experience has served as a good learning tool for myself and the kayak community here on BWE and I hope everyone is prepared and aware that stuff can happen quick. Also, if you sink a kayak it should be reported to the Lifeguards or Coast Guard so if it shows up there isn't a search party out trying to find a fisherman that doesn't exist (my wife and I talked about it).....another lesson learned

Tom

Last edited by bigbarrels; 04-30-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Gino

absolutely freaking amazing...
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Aaron

this is like a soap opera. Did you spot anything that could explain the water you were taking on prior to it going down? I know it would be tough to tell with the "post-burial" damage...
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
this is like a soap opera. Did you spot anything that could explain the water you were taking on prior to it going down? I know it would be tough to tell with the "post-burial" damage...

had to be the bait tank. The scuppers and hull are intact
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Jimmyz123

That is amazing, WOW!
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Just talked to a Coast Guard boat today, and they handed me a sticker that you affix to your yak so that they know who to contact in case they find it adrift. You write your Cell, Phone, and Name on it in waterproof marker.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Willy

Simply amazing.

So glad both you and your kayak have been recovered.

This really shows, the ocean is something so incredible, and beyond our full understanding.

Shocker the news media has fully botched the story. Never trust what you read in the paper, or hear on the news.
They will always fill in the blanks in a story with their own fabricated nonsense.

Great story Bigbarrels.
You've go an amazing tale to tell.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote