Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
cell128
lizard king

Tax man in Manhattan beach

Swimmer attacked today at Manhattan beach by a great white. Fisherman had the shark hooked. He probably didn't know he had hooked the taxman http://abcnews.go.com/US/swimmer-bit...ry?id=24438491

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
jorluivil

Glad I decided to stay away from that area this weekend

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
walrus

B.S. no way anything that walks on two legs can know what if any feelings a shark may experience or if it just has a biological response to something swimming.

"A group of long-distance swimmers coming by -- the shark just got agitated and bit one of the swimmers,"
Old 07-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Scary

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Crazy!!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
FISH11

I guess the leason is to never go swiming near a pier were some dumb ass is fishing for sharks. I feel a lot safer on top of my kayak.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
cell128
lizard king

After watching that video im spechless. Not only do they laugh about it but record it and somehow land it on YouTube? They probably sold it. This could ruin pier fishing for everyone if the right people see it. What a bunch of dickheads

cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Wait, there's white sharks around here?
I'm selling my shit!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
The people fishing on the pier should all be arrested. I cannot believe someone is so stupid to leave a great white hanging while there are what looked like dozens of swimmers in that close of proximity.

As punishment, they should be thrown in a tank of GWs to have the same feeling and fear they instilled upon those swimmers.

WOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
After watching that video im spechless. Not only do they laugh about it but record it and somehow land it on YouTube? They probably sold it. This could ruin pier fishing for everyone if the right people see it. What a bunch of dickheads

Tough break. But you blame the anglers?

You all know that when you enter the water you take risks. Want to eliminate the risk of shark attacks ...swim in pool.

No way to know what type of anything you are going to catch when fishing. Sure using big baits, big hooks to target sharks is questionable on a pier (not convinced they were fishing for a shark based on that video)... but figure the odds of catching Threshers, Makos or GW's from a pier? Odds seem low (I know there have been reports of these fish caught before on a pier... but consider the # of people fishing on piers everyday).

That juvi shark probably had no idea it was hooked and was looking for an easy meal. Wrong place wrong time. That simple.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
That juvi shark probably had no idea it was hooked and was looking for an easy meal. Wrong place wrong time. That simple.

The shark was reacting to being hooked. The video and comments make fisherman look bad, but it's obvious from their gear and what they say that they were not fishing sharks, just stupid kids that had no clue what to do once they hooked the shark.

There was no way that shark was trying to feed on that swimmer and it obviously knew it was hooked. Cutting the line at the reel would of been stupid. The shark would of ended up towing the excess line, and could of eventually died. If you look carefully you can see that before the shark attacked it was on the surface obviously fighting the line moving right to left. It just happened to run into the crowd of swimmers as they crossed paths. If the fisherman had broken it off, or thrown the reel in freespool it would of probably dove or taken off and missed them completely. He was also using spectra. All he had to do to release it was lock up the reel and break it off. Once free it would of left the area.

I've never hooked a white but I have hooked many makos (a whites closest relative) and they will attack boats motors and sometimes even other sharks, especially blue sharks, when hooked. They attack other sharks because they feel threatened, injure them, then leave them bleeding as bait. It's the marine equivalent of being left for the wolves

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 07-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I don't think the shark was trying to attack him, just a wrong place/wrong time accident with an aggravated shark. About 1:00 in the video a witness says the swimmer caught the line with his hand during a swim stroke which brought the shark right up close to him.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
The shark was reacting to being hooked. The video and comments make fisherman look bad, but it's obvious from their gear and what they say that they were not fishing sharks, just stupid kids that had no clue what to do once they hooked the shark.

There was no way that shark was trying to feed on that swimmer and it obviously knew it was hooked. Cutting the line at the reel would of been stupid. The shark would of ended up towing the excess line, and could of eventually died. If you look carefully you can see that before the shark attacked it was on the surface obviously fighting the line moving right to left. It just happened to run into the crowd of swimmers as they crossed paths. If the fisherman had broken it off, or thrown the reel in freespool it would of probably dove or taken off and missed them completely. He was also using spectra. All he had to do to release it was lock up the reel and break it off. Once free it would of left the area.

I've never hooked a white but I have hooked many makos (a whites closest relative) and they will attack boats motors and sometimes even other sharks, especially blue sharks, when hooked. They attack other sharks because they feel threatened, injure them, then leave them bleeding as bait. It's the marine equivalent of being left for the wolves
exactly. except the part about the guys being stupid or dumbasses like I see a lot posting. hook a big fish and watch it go right into a bunch of dumbass swimmers and you'll laugh too. hook an 8ft shark and watch the only two people on the beach, who decided to get in the water right in front of you, get close lined by 150lb mono and you'll laugh. I say "dumbass swimmers" because there are rules about swimming and surfing near piers and anyone who deliberately swims up to a fishing pier deserves to get hooked or tangled in line, that shark did him one better than any fishermen could.

I still have yet to see pics of the injury and I'm willing to bet he sustained them when the shark jumped/thrashed on the surface due to the line and leader. sure the sharks skin may have given him a rash or a tooth caught somewhere but that was it. I've never seen a white go air born when hooked but they do go to the surface as do most sharks, especially when pulling from a higher point like the pier.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Cbad Mike

Bringing it back into the kayak world, maybe we can learn a little something from this. The sharks are definitely out there and it's no surprise how the react to being hooked and pulled on. They jump and bite at anything around them to survive,
SO let's be as safe as possible if we hook a good size Mako or the like. If your close to other kayakers let them know so they can keep an eye open for the pissed off shark incase it comes their way. Also as always, stay aware of your surroundings while out.
For the most part this type of accident can be avoided with the use of a little common sense.
Let's not let this happen to one of us!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
YakDout
Brandon

So you're saying after they figured out they were putting lives in danger, they should definitely not have cut the shark off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
tamddo714

The swimmers should be aware they are putting their lives endangered getting into that big blue ocean. Who is to say if he cut the line it still wouldn't have happened? Stuff happens.

tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
johnnyblaze2009

In my opinion I think if I was pier fishing and knew I hooked a great white I think I would cut the line anyways knowing that you can't take that species of shark anyways. I think if I still brought him in and it died I would be held responsible.

johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
jorluivil

As soon as you enter the water you have become part of the food chain.

Is that not true?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #18
EDC

I wish people would have their information at least a little straight before posting comments on YouTube. Reading through them made my brain hurt. Lots of hate shooting off in every direction when you go in that place, some justified and others just stupidly misinformed. I can see some kind of new law trying to get passed.
I'm not defending these guys at all cause I'd like to bitch slap the laugh right off their faces, but I think swimming and surfing right at a fishing pier, where you don't even need a license and there are hundreds of lines from noob fishermen in the water is pretty stupid. The pier is there for fishing, not swimming. Not very safe. But still, the guys on the pier do us absolutely no justice and should probably get a nice flogging for giving fishermen a black eye.
EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
momo fish

Awesome! Swimmer gets bitten by a shark and the angler gets punished. How come there isn't a temporary ban on swimming or surfing???
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #20
DanaPT

We'll they if they are looking for public comment and you care ... Let your voice be heard...

MDANAJ@CITYMB.INFO

Mark Danaj, City Manager
City of Manhattan Beach
Phone: (310) 802-5053 Phone
Fax: (310) 802-5051 Fax
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote