Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
-scallywag-
Banned

LJ - 5/01

launched at LJ this time, 5pm, still some windswell, tons and tons of bait outside the kelp getting chased, watertemp 61-62 green water 5-10ft vis. looked Tsharky out there but i was on a different mission.... but as usual i got skunked (except for a stupid ugly horn shark and one small sculpin) landed at 1030 just in time to get harrassed by some bored SDPD Barney's who aparently didn't know that you could launch/drive on the beach???after searching everything for?? giving me a breathalizer (blew a .002) and calling in a sergent, who by that point was more intested in my kayak, fishing gear, what i had caught and why i was'nt afraid of sharks, they let me go...at 1130.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
JD

Typical, did he ever say what he was searching for? Did you give consent to search?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Hmmm....wonder if they were called in by someone, or by a group of someones...just sayin'...

Sounds very fishy to me...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Wow, that is scary, what gives them the right to search you, when you are using a legal boat launch. It is one thing if you driving wildy down the beach towards scripps pier endangering people. But I am assuming, you landed, got your car, and were packing up your gear, like 99.99% of us do.

I would like to hear more on what reasons they gave you, to conduct a search, then subsequent breathalizer?

If there are any lawyers on this site, curious what our rights are to deny a search, when presumably, we have not done anything. Or even a breathalizer, ie we werent swerving down ave de la playa, but packing up gear?

chris
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

are they handing out KUI's now? That would be f'd up!

thanks for the report... looks glassy out there at the moment.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

ALWAYS USE KAYAK SAFETY OUT THERE NEVER DRINK WHEN KAYAKING ESPECIALLY WHEN WATER SKIING W/THE HOBIE DRIVE U MAY RUN OVER SOMEONES HEAD
Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
-scallywag-
Banned

i'm a young punk kid....these officers where my age and obiously did not know anything about LJ....or fishing for that matter... i was parked...first they spot lighted me from the boardwalk, then overt the PA told to wlk infornt of the my truck...they then jumped the wall and started agressively grilling me about driving on the beach...all i said was that i believed that this was a public boat launch, they said that its illegal to drive on any beach in san diego, trying not to argue i said "i think there's a sign over there"...thats when it all started, "have you been drinking today?"..."ummmm yes sir"...."do you have any wepeons, bombs or drugs in the vehical"......."no sir"..... "can we take a look?"....."sure i have nothing to hide"..... at that point his partner comes around and asks me where i got the kayak from while the other guy starts searching....long stoy short they find nothing but six empty corona light bottles ,some waters and sandwich trash in my cooler along with all my gear...i guess for some reason they just couldn't believe that i had been out since 5pm by myself fishing or that i had paddled 6-8 miles in that time?? so they breathalize me, .002, so they have a little meeting and come back and say that thier gonna let me go but i'm gonna get a ticket for driving on the beach, at that point i was ready to go home and didn't argue......luckly the segant shows up, informs the two officers that this is a public launch and that im not violating any laws and he tells them to go read the sign....then he starts shinning his light around inside my truck asking about the hobie, how the bite is, if i like my dodge turbo diesel, what kinda milage it gets.....he was a cool guy and oboiusly felt bad about bothering me (although he never said so) then he said have a good night and they left as fast as they showed up....all's well that ends well i guess...
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

just for the record, in CA you absolultly can get a DUI for opperating just about any vehical, bike, surfboard, skateboard, snowboard, boat atv golfcart, barbie bigwheel, and of course kayaks....also i never ever ever argue with the officers, i awnser them honestly and respectfully, if i have a problem I "tell it to the judge!!!"
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Rik
OEX Oceanside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Wow, that is scary, what gives them the right to search you, when you are using a legal boat launch. It is one thing if you driving wildy down the beach towards scripps pier endangering people.

chris
So I shouldnt be zooming up and down the beach doing donuts to celebrate my catch? go figure

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
joyjiggin'

Scallywag, landing at 1030pm?? Who do you think you are, Josh Pruitt?!!!
Closed Thread