Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Dan

Islander Report. 6/7/08

Lunch: Flatbread grilled chicken tacos with secret sauce, guacamole, and killer salsa and a layer of griddled cheese stuck to the outside of the flatbread, served with blackbeans and a dollop of sour cream, snack was a fresh baked crumbly top coffee cake.

Dinner: Started off with freshbaked football sized loaf of bread and butter, zesty creamed corn soup and then a big helping of pork tenderloin topped with mango chutney and steamed asparagus and wild rice on the side. Dessert was a fresh baked carrot cake with cream cheese frosting topped with sliced almonds.

And, they had Sierra Nevada.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Thank you Rachel Rey
Old 06-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
FISHIONADO

NF@TS? Got any tackle recommendations for the trip next week?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
f'nsabiki

alright, I think you are leaving out the most important detail----did they have milk to go with the cake?????
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Dan

NFITS. Just wasn't very fishy. Water was turned over from all the wind and swell, no bait around, was able to make one lone spanish mac, but the sardines on the boat were healthy.

The gap between north and south island provided some shelter from the wind and kicked out about 7 halibut for the group.

I mostly stayed out deep around 100ft looking for marks to yo yo on, and trolling and fishing deep sardines. nada.

My only fish was a calico on the sabiki. Lots of skunks and plenty of one calico fisherman.

Big fat gill net was set up near the southern end of the island near the tuna pens which was really a bummer to discover after fishing there all day...

Crew was good and took good care of us.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
PescadorPete

How 'bout that weather...

Weather was up, swell from the north mixed with wind from the south. Boiler rocks with breaking sets. The washing machine in the gap was exciting. Weather layed down in the PM so it can be nice there. Tried a few things and the best game in town ended up being flatties. Bring the usual gear, bass, halibut, YT, an appetite and a thirst. It was fun fishing with everyone, I had a good time.

You can't beat the Islander crew -- #1 in service. Lunch, cerveza, bait just a radio call away.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Corey

Despite the wind & swell, it was business as usual for the Islander crew, Top notch service all the way from loading & unloading the kayaks to the gourmet food to beer & bait delivery service.

Due to the wind we were limited in range and forced to stay tucked in on the w/nw side of south island. After a few hours of unproductive fishing in 40-90' of water, I decided to follow the captain, Jason's tip of trying the area between the islands for halibut. After pulling the hook on what felt like a really nice one, I managed a 15#er on my 2nd drift in 18' on a sardine on the bottom. After radioing the guys to let them know, I managed a 7#, which was followed over the course of the day by 5 others, caught by the rest of the group, ranging from 5#- 27#. Also several calicos & a few lings were caught.

I wish I had taken more pics, but between fishing & repositioning against the wind, I only got a few:

The tip of S. Island w/ Punta Banda in the background

Moyer & Rhyno w/ north island in the background

The islands are not too big& I really think if it had been less windy, we could have covered the entire circumference of the islands if we were so inclined & probably found a better variety, but we worked with what we were given & made the best of it.

Hopefully others took some more pics & can post 'em up.

All in all it was a really fun trip & most everybody stuck it out throughout the day despite the wind & swell. Thanks again to the Islander crew for goin the extra mile as usual.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
kurt

I only caught one fish but still had a great time, despite the conditions, due to the Islander crew and my fellow anglers. Tough conditions and tough fishing rarely prove fatal. Congrats to all who got some nice halibut, and thanks to OEX which provided some outstanding raffle prizes. Islander + OEX = first rate trips.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Thanks for the report all, and the pix Corey.