Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
OEX
Administrator

2008 Islander Trips

2008 Kayak Mothership Trips aboard the Islander

Our most popular trips are now taking reservations! This year the Islander is back with more kayak fishing mothership trips and a new destination! Our San Clemente Island trips have been a huge success and this year the Islander has exclusive rights to run kayak fishing trips to the Todos Santos Islands / Punta Banda area of Mexico. This is a great way to experience the fantastic fishing that Mexico has to offer, without the danger or hassle of driving through Baja. Expect excellent fishing for yellowtail, white seabass, halibut and bass in this unique location as well as the amazing service offered by the Islander crew. And as always the San Clemente Island trips are an amazing experience as well. Sign up now, we expect these trips to fill very quickly.

Price: $285

SCHEDULE:

San Clemente Island

May 2-4
May 16-18

Todos Santos Islands

June 6-8
June 15-17

These trips are 1 ½ days. You will board the Islander and load up your kayak and gear the evening of departure. The trip will depart that evening and travel through the night. In the morning the boat will arrive at its destination and fishermen will be unloaded into the water first thing in the morning. The entire second day is available to fish, sunrise to sunset. The boat will usually re-position a few times throughout the day according to the wind/current and follow the kayaks down the coast. At the end of the day the kayaks are loaded back onto the boat and the Islander again travels overnight to arrive back in San Diego on the morning of the third day. All meals, bait and sleeping accommodations are included. Bring cash for tip and beverages.

TO SIGN UP CALL OEX AT (619) 758-9531.

$100 DEPOSIT REQUIRED AT TIME OF RESERVATION. BALANCE DUE TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO TRIP.
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Todos Santos Islands

June 6-8
June 15-17
Sign me up!............if I can get outa work.

That is so cool!
Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
madscientist

Very cool. Trips on the Islander are always one of the highlights of my fishing season.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Corey

Those Todos trips should be awesome. I can't wait.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
aguachico

Hell yeah I'm hitting a few. This boat rocks.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
PescadorPete

I'm in. I think it will be my fifth trip to San Clemente (starting on the Orion, now the Islander). Never been to Todos Santos - should be a blast.

San Clemente Island
May 16-18

Todos Santos Islands
June 6-8
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
martuka
Junior

mother ship?

First off is there any spots left on either trips and second "i can't answer till i know if theres spots left?
martuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Tailwhipped

If the 2008 schedule is up to date, it looks as if there is room on all the trips except for the trip departing on May 16th.
Tailwhipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Dennis

I went by yesterday... The Todos Santos trip (June 6) is also full.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
dorado50

I may have to sell my spot on the May 16 - 18 San Clemente trip. However I won't know until one week prior to departure. If one weeks notice works for you and I can't go I would be willing to sell you my spot. This also goes for the Todos santos trip June 15 - 17. PM me.......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
OEX
Administrator

Islander Trip

May 2nd SCI 12 spots left

May 16th Full

June 6th Full

June 15th Todos 6 spots left

OEX
Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
aclozer

Todos!!!!

I have been in on the June 15th trip for a while now. Just counting the days!
aclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
sbsyncro

Equipment/Gear recommendations

So I am starting my planning for the Todos Santos trip in early June, and wondering what I need to bring for the trip. Can anyone with experience help me put together my "kit"?

Here's my stick choices:

Quantum M-H 7' spinning combo (usually use it for drop-shotting or throwing plastics). Spooled with 12# Stren mono

Torium on a 7' Sabre Stroker Pro (the $49 Big 5 special) wound with 20# braid and 12# flouro leader

Avet MXL on a Calstar 190 6' MH rod wound with 50# braid and 30# flouro leader

Teeny-tiny shimano Sedona spinner with Shimano 7' rod (my sabiki unit). wound with 10# Ande mono

Abu 6600CX with a7' Abu rod (medium-light) wound with 15# Ande mono line

My tackle consists mostly of live bait gear (1/0, 2/0, and 3/0 circle and octopus hooks, egg sinkers, etc). I have a pretty good collection of Big Hammers in browns and blue/silvers. Also have about a dozen "Trix Jetty Worms" with the big heads and weedless hooks.

I'm pretty light on irons and such - a couple of big krocs and a "buzzbomb" or two. Should I load up on more of this sort of thing?

What is the type of fishing most likely to be? Live bait, plastics, all of the above? What about typical depths and current?

Also, what about clothing - paddle pants and a nylon fishing shirt (with paddle jacket as backup) or full-on waders and paddle jacket? (neoprene or breathable?)

Thanks for any advice!

Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #14
Dan

Brent. I think you need to define what you're after. I guess the choices are Calico Bass, bottom critters, or big fish such as WSB and YT.

Bring your Hammers and spin or bait casters with light 15-20 for the bass.

If you're going for the biguns, the torium/sabre and the avet will work for ya. Although I'd put braid or heavier line on the Tor.

Bring a sabiki for catching macs, the sardines the boat will provide are great, but not always the best for kayak trolling. 2/0 and 3/0 (by owner sizing) hooks will be good.

As for what you want to throw, iron, spoon, swimmies, whatever you're confident with. If you're not used to throwing iron, a Salas 7X or Tady 45 in blue and white is a good place to start.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #15
sbsyncro

Thanks Dan - your comment is a good one ("it depends what you're after") and guess that strikes at the heart of the question I should have asked. - what will we be after in those waters?

I think I'm pretty well set for calicos (unless the average catch will be a lot bigger than up here in SB, which is about 12-16", but nothing lately...) I have never fished for YT, and never caught a legal hali (gotten shorties casting along shore with Krocs, that's it). The whole "trolling a mac" thing is a mystery to me, as we don't fish for YT or other big, fast pelagics up here.

So I guess the real question is "what species are we likely to be targeting, and in what kind of water?" That's probably the question I should have asked. :-)

Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post

So I guess the real question is "what species are we likely to be targeting, and in what kind of water?" That's probably the question I should have asked. :-)

Brent
Who knows. Be prepared for anything from yt and wsb, to bass and bottom critters. We all hope to slam the wsb and yt, but if they just aren't there be prepared to fish bass or bottom critters. May as well bring 4-5 rods and reels and cover all bases. I think Todos is a mystery to most if not all of us on that trip. Shouldn't be too much different that fishing SCI or the coronados, but I don't know for sure.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
MalibuJohnny

Mothership

I like more information,
Is there a web-site to check out on these trips?

MalibuJohny
Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
OEX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuJohnny View Post
I like more information,

MalibuJohny
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=islander

The last trip is the 15th-17th and it's full. They generally run the kayak trips April through June, before they switch to their regular tuna schedule. Check back early next year if you'd like to get in on one.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #19
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuJohnny View Post
I like more information,

MalibuJohny
Johnny,

This is the mothership trip I am going on this weekend. http://www.sdkayaks.com/tours.html

They have another scheduled for October 10-12 going to SCI.

I think the Qualifier 105 has mothership trips, but they a much longer range.

Marco