Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Racksticker
Junior

Avet Reels for YT/WSB

Looking for opinions on which Avet reel models to use with Seeker live bait rods.

It seems like there are so many Avet models and features to choose from and is a bit confusing

Is it worth the extra cash to get a 2 speed and/or MC features for YT/WSB ?

Thanks
Racksticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Seems like a lot but it's not too hard to figure out. Multiple classes of reel (SX, MX, JX, etc...), each class has multiple options (wide-L/narrow-J frame, MC cast, etc..)

For kayak fishing a SX should do everything you need. I've used one for everything from bass to 5' sharks. If I were to add another to my bag I'd go with a MXJ or MXL depending on line type/amount I plan on using. You probably don't need 2 speed unless you're taking it offshore, you probably don't need MC if you're not tossing irons with it, and a Raptor probably has more drag than is useful on a kayak. Hope that helps a little.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

^^2. I use a MXJ raptor which is way overkill, but I also use that on charters up to 3 days so far. I just wanted a reel that could do it all. I have found that reel!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
kobra

The sx should handle anything from a kayak. I wouldn't recommend the mc feature or 2 speed but that's more of a personal decision.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
ironcross6921

I use a SX Raptor and a SX as my "heavy" duty rods for the kayaks. The Raptor is way overkill unless fighting a big fish heading for the bottom otherwise you just get towed everywhere before the extra drag power comes into play.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
grey zone

JX is a nice size reel and will hold all the 50 lb spectra you will need. I have a single and a 2-speed. I would save the money and get a single speed if you only plan on using it locally. The 2-speed is nice but rarely needed and the low gear is too slow for fighting a fish that is fired-up.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
RedondoSteve

I'm using an SXmc and a MXJmc and absolutely love them both. Smooth drags. I would spend the little bit extra and get the MC versions as you will always find a time to toss lures. Quality reels. Calicos, WSB and YT catchers.

Stevo
RedondoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote