Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
LocoKayako

Pacific Adventure 6/25/08 Catalina

A little tired here, but here it goes.
I've been wanting to get on one of these trips like this for a while. I finally was able to get some time off of work and made my reservations. For tackle, I packed everything I thought I would need for this trip, then I went through it a second time and got rid of some more stuff, trying to pack light.

Got to LA Harbor Sportfishing at 5 AM on the dot, as requested by the landing. The boat was scheduled to leave at 6 AM, and we had a couple stragglers get to the landing at 5:57 AM. We got a littlle later start then we wanted, but we were gonna fish catalina during the week. We started launching the kayaks around 9:15-9:30 AM.
Here is a shot of our drop off spot:

Bait was a mixture of 95 to 5 chovies to dines. My first scoop of bait did not have any dines, and Andy was generous enough to hand me a dine. The result was a small calico. So went out to deeper water and started throwing the blue and white salas 6x Jr. Long story short, nothing. Ended the day with 4-5 short hali's.
Here is a pic of the swim step the crew made that hangs on the rail for loading and unloading, and is easy to get on/off:
And here is a pic of all of us after a day of kayaking catalina, of course once I took the pic I had to join in nap time:
The crew worked hard to leave on time and get things done in a timely manner. We didn't catch any big fish but it was nice to be out there instead of being at work.

Gabe
Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Thanks for the 411 Gabe.

What does that trip run $?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
mc08066

Cost for trip was $75.00 and it includes lunch. Great deal.
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Grego

To bad for the slow day of fishing....hopefully gets better as the summer moves on.

I was starting to think of wearing a hard hat while I paddle also, those stink'n sea-gulls are getting accurate and fellow fisherman are getting danger close with those irons lately. The swim step looks pretty cool and user-friendly. By the way, looks like a bunch of sea snakes mating in that yak
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Zed
BANNED

Looks like a bunch of sealions sunning on deck, too.

Thanks Gabe.

Once you become "The A-hole" that causes the boat to be late it's hard to escape that title. Trust me. Hope they got a sardine in the boots, at least.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Gabe, good fishing with ya. Pretty sure I will be signing on for the next one on the 9th. There were a couple yt and a wsb caught by another sportie in our area. The chance was there, just did not happen for us........next time! There was a nice halibut lost at gaff and Josh's legal 'but took the pot.

Gabe fishing one of the lil beaches along the way.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Dan

looks super. The mid and late summer trips could really be the ticket!

yakrider always wins!!! WTF!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Snork

Well Done!

First off what a pleasure this trip was to fish with some seasoned veterans. Not only that but great ppl. Gabe was nice enough to break some conversation with me recognizing my stamped forehead reading "Rookie Yaker". Not exactly knowing the ins and outs I observed and sponged in a wonderful experience. Helpful tips, great weather, eXcellent crew. Only thing missing were the big boils, diving birds and hungry YT's which catalina is known for this time of year. Maybe next time. Cant wait for the next trip. What an awesome deal.
Ray
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Shorty

Is this the same place where Great Whites like to bump woman out of there Yaks, if so a good wire trace might be handy next trip

Highly respected member of T.A.A
(Tackle Addicts Annonymous)
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
cabojohn
PROBATION

bump
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote