Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Lighter paddle

Guys, forgive me if there is already a thread about this, but how do you select and eventually buy / upgrade your kayak paddle? Mine is a "standard" aluminum paddle that came with my setup. I KNOW it's heavy as I've carried a buddy's paddle and noticed a world of difference. Shall I expect to spend $100 on some super light composite version?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
TJones

Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Guys, forgive me if there is already a thread about this, but how do you select and eventually buy / upgrade your kayak paddle? Mine is a "standard" aluminum paddle that came with my setup. I KNOW it's heavy as I've carried a buddy's paddle and noticed a world of difference. Shall I expect to spend $100 on some super light composite version?
350? - 500 $ plus . If you are staying in the sport and paddling is your primarily source of propulsion , I would say it's well worth the investment . It could prevent long term injury , definitely reduce fatigue . Which translates into more time on water . ..
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I always love seeing guys with $800 worth of Avets onboard, and a $100 paddle haha

Hands down the most important and best investment I ever made was a Werner Ikelos blade. It is the lightest, stiffest and most badassest paddle ive ever tried and it makes 300% difference on long days and in surf launch situations. nothing worse than grinding into a strong current or trying to catch a school of yt with a limp noodle for a paddle. I had no idea what a huge difference it would make until i felt it. worth every penny
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I could not agree more, I have a Werner skagit for my kayak, and it is a very nice paddle it cost me $225, 8 years ago worth every penny. I paddle my L2FISH SUP with a Werner Nitro F , arguably the best SUP paddle on the market and they both make a world of difference. spend the dough and get a quality paddle, you wont regret it.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Rocketfish

You guys bring up a great point. Since I'm new I've limited myself to local harbors, yet after 4 hours of very casual paddling my shoulders are super sore immediately afterwards and the next morning! makes perfect sense to spend some good $$ on your sole source of propulsion.

With that in mind, do you guys have a good source of info regarding which paddle to get? Maybe something that compares material with weight and price? Or... shall I just visit Andy?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Aznronin

I've owned and paddled the Werner Ikelos carbon, the carbon fiber Cyprus, camano performance and I also have an Ovation (Werners lightest most expensive paddle). I've also paddled other brands of carbon fiber paddles and I would say the best overall paddle would be the camano or kalliste. The ovation is amazing but almost to light for heavy ocean fishing.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote