Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
sasha

PFD

Well got the rear hatch taken care of. Had to sand it down to take most of the marks from the cuting wheel so with a very slight pressure it closes. Been using and old PFD but i want something that i can peddle with easier. Been looking at REI as they have 20% off right now. Any PFD that you guys would recommend?? IM not a good swimmer actualy im a bad one. Here are a few i been looking at
http://www.rei.com/product/736297

http://www.rei.com/product/767358

http://www.rei.com/product/736212

http://www.rei.com/product/802370

http://www.rei.com/product/799574

i need to make a choice no later then sunday when the 20% Sale ends.
thanks.

sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Been using an old PFD but i want something that i can peddle with easier. Any PFD that you guys would recommend?? IM not a good swimmer actualy im a bad one.
sasha
That has got to be the most honest post I have ever read...

I don't have advice on any brand, hopefully more guys will chime in, I do suggest you get one that fits you snug. It's ok to get one a bit bigger, you can always cinch it tighter. As you're standing it should come to your lower rib cage (sitting in the yak it will come to your waist), make sure it has adjustable straps to snug you in not only the lower end of the PFD (quick release snaps) but the shoulder straps as well, a couple pockets in the front, side straps to snug the rib cage area, and most importantly, one that you can easily loosen if needed...and, the upper back portion makes a good headrest if ya decide to take a nap...wait, disregard that last statement.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher

Last edited by Tman; 10-15-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
jorluivil

I have the NRS Chinook, after a few minutes you forget you're wearing it.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I have the NRS Chinook, after a few minutes you forget you're wearing it.

X2........saved my arse once
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Durwood101

I visited Rik down at OEX in Kearny Mesa. I was going to buy a basic PFD lifevest, but after talking to Rik, I ended up with the Fishermen by Stohlquist. It was a lot more than I wanted to spend,but it's a nice vest, and the extra pockets and areas to store stuff is a bonus out on the water. Everything is within your grasp.
Durwood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
sasha

cool guys that two points for chinook. I also like it when someone can say that you can almost forget that you have it on. The one i used you would never forget you had it on lol keep going up so had to stop and adj it often.

Sasha
Old 10-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
bmercury

ahhh you have to be a member to get the 20% off? REI has some nice looking stuff but seems very overpriced for the most part.

I have seen a lot of PFD's that seem comfortable for kayaking, I am now looking for one that will be comfortable prone paddling on a board. Tough to find. If I am going out there 2 miles on any sort of watercraft I'm not going to forgo a PFD.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
sasha

Im a member of REI. With the 20% off the price is more reasonble. Comfort is very important as i dont plan to take it off when ever im out there. But its right below the flotaion as the only thing that would beat me to the bottom of the ocean is a rock
That fisherman by stohlquist looks realy nice.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood101 View Post
I visited Rik down at OEX in Kearny Mesa. I was going to buy a basic PFD lifevest, but after talking to Rik, I ended up with the Fishermen by Stohlquist. It was a lot more than I wanted to spend,but it's a nice vest, and the extra pockets and areas to store stuff is a bonus out on the water. Everything is within your grasp.
I did the same thing - I don't think I have the Fisherman, but it has two pockets and made by Stohlquist - is not in the way of paddling.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
romspacenut

I was just there today and was chatting with Rick. I ended up getting the yellow Stohlquist PiSEAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood101 View Post
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
Durwood101

Nice.
Durwood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
tony

A little off topic but......
If you cant swim I would strongly suggest that you take swimming lessons.
That is a skill everyone should have.
Could save your life or someone else down the road.....
Plus it will increase your comfort level ten fold.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
sasha

Thanks Tony you are right about it. Yes im planning on taking a few classes as well. Just got into it and there is so much i need to do and get. one thing at the time. Time and money work aginst me here
Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #14
bmercury

take the swimming lessons before you go out on the water...
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
maui jim

my wife uses a Extra Sport PFD, and is cut and fitted for women she finds it very confortable
Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
sasha

Just to set it right im a MAN/GUY/BOY.
Well i went for the NRS Chinook. The reason i went for it was that it got thumps up from two folks on here. I liked the way the pockets are designed. Its rated for 16.5lb which is on the high side. The last part and yes it was the last part was the price. I found a cart on craigslist for $40. Slowly im getting set up . Planning on going out there more to get used to the kayak. Hope no one minds me asking lots of Q cause i got lots more to ask lol.

Sasha
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
SGV Rookie

NRS

I have the NRS Chinook! You will love it! I forget it's there when i'm fishing. Make sure to flip a few times in a pool or shallow body of water. You will need to get a feel for the bouyancy and re-entry to the Yak!
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
sasha

That i shall do Thanks.. The one thing i dont want to be is food for the crabs..
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
old_rookie

Quote:
Hope no one minds me asking lots of Q cause i got lots more to ask lol.

Sasha

Been there. Done that. Will still gave questions. I would think the reason for this forum is to ask and answer questions. But if you go 'overboard' with questions like I did, you'll know by the sarcastic answers you get.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
maui jim

Quote:
Just to set it right im a MAN/GUY/BOY.
Well i went for the NRS Chinook. The reason i went for it was that it got thumps up from two folks on here. I liked the way the pockets are designed. Its rated for 16.5lb which is on the high side. The last part and yes it was the last part was the price. I found a cart on craigslist for $40. Slowly im getting set up . Planning on going out there more to get used to the kayak. Hope no one minds me asking lots of Q cause i got lots more to ask lol.

Sasha
SORRY Dude....can I call you dude, but with no pic....
and I had to guess... no worries I have a extrasport also but mines blue....