Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
TCS

Yo Yo Season

I've been taking the surface iron with me every trip this summer. I did have a few chances to throw it, but did not manage a yellow on it. I'm wondering when I should switch to the yo yo iron. It seems like surface season is over (not that it ever really arrived).

So how about some opinions? When should I tie on on the yo yo instead?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

I am by no means an expert on Yo Yoin but last time I was out (2 weeks ago) I hooked up with some thing large outside the kelp.... Threasher? Broke away but I got to keep the iron...Blue and White Salas 6x?..
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

when the fish are feeding deep and there are several marks on the fish finder. the fish that are eating the yo yo iron are usually on the hunt for squid or maybe the bait is deep or there is a change in the weather cold weather usually is the beginning of this behavior however one should always be tied on you never know its a big ocean we fish. in general fish at the depth the fish are. if they are on the surface, the surface iron is a great tool to use or flylined bait. when they're deep and its cold, nothing beats a reaction bite.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
when the fish are feeding deep and there are several marks on the fish finder. the fish that are eating the yo yo iron are usually on the hunt for squid or maybe the bait is deep or there is a change in the weather cold weather usually is the beginning of this behavior however one should always be tied on you never know its a big ocean we fish. in general fish at the depth the fish are. if they are on the surface, the surface iron is a great tool to use or flylined bait. when they're deep and its cold, nothing beats a reaction bite.
Thank for the lesson teacher!
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterrero View Post
Thank for the lesson teacher!
X2...
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

used to be around Turkey Day

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ght=yo+yo+time
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Thx for the link.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
dfroggy54
Rolly

I remember this time last year, there were some FAT marks down there. Time to wrestle some lobster traps!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

I always bring a dedicated yoyo setup and a jig stick....and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Well over half of the fish I've taken from LJ have been on the heavy iron. In fact most days, no matter the season, its sitting by my side with the iron laying on my bow ready to drop. Some days I don't even try to make bait.

Fish the iron with confidence and fish it often. Learn the prefect retrieve speed to get the iron to swim and not spin. BE THE IRON, make it swim like a strong mac, twitch like a wounded sardine or pulse around on the bottom like a juicy squid....if that doesn't work simply bounce it around at the depth your seeing marks, I swear it annoys them and they get mad and bite it. "Too much bait around" ??? pin one on the iron and drop it down and see what happens...there is never "too much bait".

The only thing more exciting than catching a YT, is catching one on the iron...
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote