Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
TCS

Surfing in Sinaloa

I'm going on surf trip to mainland mex north of Mazatlan with my son next week. Looks like we'll get decent surf but nothing to blow us away. The camp also has a couple of kayaks and boats, so I'm planning on fishing as well. Maybe we'll take a boat offshore for some Dorado.

I have a light spinning setup for fishing off the rocks and am taking a penn 500 with 40lb and a short stubby rod also. Planning on casting krocodiles and plastics with the light setup, not sure how to fish from the kayak though. I don't want to try and deal with live bait, and don't know if there will even be a rod holder for trolling. Also don't want to go far offshore in unknown waters in a craft that will probably be like the rental kayaks at LJ. Maybe just cast into some boils? yo yo? Surface iron? Fastrak minnows?

I also am not taking a gaff. Even in a checked bag that might be a threat!

So I'm interested in a few opinions on how a few tackle items I should take for fishing the shore and inshore on the kayak. Also, thoughts on gaffless fishing.

In any case, I'm pretty stoked to be going totally of the grid for a week with the kid, catching some waves, and hopefully a few fish.

Will definitely report back when I get home. Don't think a mexico report should ruffle any feathers.

Here's a picture if the kid rippin...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cutty Saturday.jpg (51.3 KB, 178 views)
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Dan

on a trip to panama I put a 20# casting setup in one of my board bags--best idea ever since the surf was ok, but the fishing was insane. My biggest regret was not bringing spools of line. My line was trashed from mystery fish breaking me off. A small gaff is not a bad idea in the board bag either.

The krocs were deadly. I fished hardbottom areas off the beach on a borrowed longboard. talk to the locals, they'll set you up. Can't wait to take my boys on surf trips.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
j mo

If fishing isnt your primary objective, youre better off to just hire a panga. Go down to the beach at sunset when most are landing and make arrangements to fish. Most "surf camps" will offer this service but a stiff premium.

The tackle might not be in great shape but those guys will put you on fish. I have done this in Michocan, Guerrero and CR. and never regreted leaving my tackle at home.

Have a great trip, and what ever you do stay out of the jungle.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Definitely take some crocs as Dan said...if you happen to hook a free rider (mackeral) send him back down.

Have a fun trip...couple more years and the lad and I will be doing that as well. Had him in surf camp last week at Swami's, got to watch him drop in on some bigger models hopefully he will soon be shredding like your son.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
TCS

Thanks - Go to Scorpion Bay with Kids

This is the first year we've gone to mainland mex. The previous seven years in a row we drove to scorpion bay, which I highly recommend for getting the little kids hooked on surfing. Super easy wave to ride, unbelievable campground right on the point. Safe. (Okay, it is baja, which I consider to be safe if you drive safely during the daytime and stay in hotels at night)

The wave is just like Malibu.

Here are a couple of pics from there when the kids were younger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0479.jpg (66.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0513.jpg (164.0 KB, 111 views)
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
Riskey Water

for a little kid kid he shur has some nice form at the nose
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote