Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Regor
Greg

Malibu Warranty - 2nd owner?

I've read on the Malibu website that the warranty is for the original owner only, but has anyone heard of any instances when Malibu has stood behind their Kayaks 100% when it's an obvious materials defect?

Pic is a set of holes, with a pencil nearby for size. It's not from wear and tear or rough use.

See pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG3898_800.jpg (27.6 KB, 152 views)
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Lets_Fish

I purchased a Malibu X-13 at their parking lot sale last month and it has some "pin holes" around one of the scuppers. I just gooped the heck out of it both inside and out like Andy mentioned in another post. The holes on mine are not as large as the ones shown in your photo though. Call Malibu and ask if they would cover a portion (maybe some credit towards a replacement yak).
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Regor
Greg

How much water can in the Kayak to troubleshoot

I've supported the yak in the driveway and filled up with some water, with zero leaks.

I've only filled up enough to cover the 1st inch of the scuppers from inside the yak, with no leaks. Of course, it appears that the seam of the scupper is much higher.

How much water can go into the yak without fear of making matters worse? At 8lbs per gallon, that could get heavy fast.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Gino

Regor, What you could do is use 3m, or Goop and smear it inside and around those little pinholes just to be sure. If you use 3m make sure you let it set for 2 days or so.
That should fix your problem.

There is no warranty for secound hand owners! but Im sure Andy at OEX Sunset Beach could possibly figure out a solution if it becomes a problem, Id give him a call And see what he has to offer.
Ive seen the work they do on kayaks and patches, Amazing stuff.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Regor
Greg

Thanks Gino.

I was also trying to figure out if I had any secondary (or 3rd or 4th) holes, or naked to the eye cracks. ( the reason for filling up the yaks interior with water)