Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

Winter and my Humminbird.....

When I went to LJ last week, my fish finder fogged up. Worked ok, besides that I could hardly see the screen.

Well, I used it today and its fried. It didnt power up, or just had an all black screen. Later in the day, after the sun had heated it up, it turned on but was utterly useless except for depth readings.

Its out of warranty, so I opened it up today, soaked it in formalin (used to clean electronics in factories) and am letting it dry. Have my fingers crossed.

Anybody else having condensation problems?

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
When I went to LJ last week, my fish finder fogged up. Worked ok, besides that I could hardly see the screen.

Well, I used it today and its fried. It didnt power up, or just had an all black screen. Later in the day, after the sun had heated it up, it turned on but was utterly useless except for depth readings.

Its out of warranty, so I opened it up today, soaked it in formalin (used to clean electronics in factories) and am letting it dry. Have my fingers crossed.

Anybody else having condensation problems?

/bing
Should of got a Garmin
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Should of got a Garmin
*&%$#@!

I had a Garmin and liked it. Just dont like those needle pins in the back. Broke them once, and gave up on Garmin. When they start using quick release base mounts, only then can they have me back as an FF client
Old 02-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have had a little fogging in my brand new Humminbird Matrix 12 but the screen cleared as soon as the unit warmed up. I store the head in a a gear bag and there could have been some significant differences in temp and humidity that needed to get adjusted.

I have experienced a bigger problem the last couple of trips however and I wonder if anyone else has seen this one. The unit works fine for a while and then suddenly shows the depth to be 1.2 ft., the same reading that I get when the FF is turned on out of the water. Restarting the device does not fix anything but after a while, for no apparent reason, it works again.

The only thing that I can come up with that may be a contributing factor is that the problem seems to occur when I pass over the canyon with depths of 500 feet or more. When I get back to 100 ft. depths, the thing works again.

This unit has a max depth of 800 feet. My previous, less expensive Hummingbird unit never had this problem. I called Humminbird and they suggested that I set the max depth to the range where I typically fish. Currently I have it on auto. I will give that a try with a 200 ft. max.

Has anyone else experienced this problem.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
yakrider

one word!

Lowrance
sorry Bing...
couldn't help myself
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
GregAndrew

dsafety, I have the same problem. You only have 800 ft range in ideal circumstance (perfectly clear water, etc.). So when my fish finder loses the bottom it reads like yours until it finds the bottom again.

Nice to see you out there today Bing. Like I was telling you, my 580 screen was fogging, so I sent it back and they replaced the back of the case. And it fogged right back up on the first use. Mine does some weird chit, but so far (knock on wood) it is still working. Did you buy your unit on a credit card that might have extended your warranty? I have gotten a few breaks because of that.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Did you buy your unit on a credit card that might have extended your warranty? I have gotten a few breaks because of that.
Its 3 years old. I guess I can upgrade, but I expected indefinite use of these things. bummer.

/bing
Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you decide to get a new one and buy it from West Marine, you can purchase an extended warranty that doubles the time for about 10% of the cost. A good deal if you use your FF a lot as they are known for their limited life spans.

Bob
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
stairman

I have to agree with the word lowrance.I bought a hummingbird for my yak when i first got it and within ten trips had the same problem.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Willy

Bing,
I'm in the middle of a refurbishing project on my 535, and I'm not suprised at all it fogged up on you.
The seals they use are made from thin maliable material, seem really small and weak, and look like they are really prone to failure.

If any of you guys have upgraded and would like to get an extra $20 I will buy your old one for parts!

I'm just messing with mine as a hobby project (yeah, I'm a geek), trying to rebuild a broken one (which also failed due to fogging, leakage, and weak wires/pins) to get it to work.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #11
peguinpower
bing!

Its working again!

After a quick bath in formalin, overnight air dry, and a date with a heat gun, I was very careful, shes working again. I have to do water tests but its seems promising.

I rebuilt the whole unit by slipping a silica gel pack inside (for the moisture), sealing the screw holes with 3M 5200 sealant and taping the seal around the case shut with tape.

I do have an extra transducer assembly (complete) it anyone wants it.

/bing

Last edited by peguinpower; 02-16-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
GregAndrew

That sounds promising, where did you get the silica packets?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
fishdude

Wow, I thought I was the only one with a hummingbird problem. Exact same thing as dsafety with mine. In and out some times works then nothing then works again.

I will be looking into lowrance next time.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
That sounds promising, where did you get the silica packets?
I got mine from a box that one of my camera lenses came in. I do know Samy's camera has 'em.

Guys...two things....

Humminbird has a flat rate to repair their units, whatever the issue is. Prices vary from model to model but almost all the mid priced units service rate are around 80 bucks. If its completely fried, I would think you would get a refurb. Their customer service is A++.

Secondly, its pretty easy to open the cases and dry it out with a blow dryer. Ive done that in the past to minimize condensation and it works. I just havent done it in a while and this is the first time that I actually had it not work due to really bad condensation. It has to be said that I had it at Pyramid lake quite a few times this year at freezing temps. That might have someting to do with it. I will report if I got it working good again.

/bing
Old 02-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
dtownfan

mmmmmmmmmmmm.......i am hoping the 2010 570 hummingbird sonar unit i have ready for the kayak is gonna cooperate! i have been piecing my new fishing kayak together for the last several months. i used the $240 in gift cards my students gave me (X-mas presents) to Cabelas to purchase it. right now it is sitting downstairs waiting the chance to read bottom. i will be picking up my new kayak on the 27th. can't wait!

my brother has used them in Michigan's UP his whole life. he recommended hummingbird to me. he tried to talk me into the the new 597ci combo due to the performance he has had with a slightly older model. he uses his as a portable between several boats (a few of the the great lakes and smaller inland lakes) and even as an ice fishing unit for the gps topical graphs through navgonics. never a problem (knock on wood). this summer his track plotter and way points put me on walleyes during summer vaca.

i will share my experiences as soon as she is mounted and tested.

where do you store the head unit while not in use? just curious.
dtownfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
peguinpower
bing!

I talked to humminbird about the issue and they recommended that I ease the unit coming out of the car when there is a great temp difference. You can wrap it in a towel or a jacket and place it on your kayak for a few minutes before unwrapping to acclimate. A fleece or neoprene bag would even be better.

Its hard for me to blame them. My waterproof camera and my slr lenses do the same thing. I just hope its a condensation problem and not shorted out.

The last occasion, it looked like it was raining in my ff

/bing
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
Wow, I thought I was the only one with a hummingbird problem. Exact same thing as dsafety with mine. In and out some times works then nothing then works again.

I will be looking into lowrance next time.
I called Humminbird and explained the problem of the unit sometimes only registering 1.2' depth. The technician said that these things can sometimes get confused when the depth changes drastically and quickly such as when we go over the LJ Canyon.

The recommendation was that I set the max depth at something other than Auto. I have not yet tried that solution. They also said that if this procedure did not fix the problem, it was probably a hardware problem which would be covered by the warranty.

I will keep everyone posted on this as the troubleshooting continues.

Bob

Bob
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
GregAndrew

I am going to pick up a couple of those packets and throw em in after doing the hair dryer trick. Hopefully that will last for a while. What type of tape did you use for the housing Bing?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
I talked to humminbird about the issue and they recommended that I ease the unit coming out of the car when there is a great temp difference. You can wrap it in a towel or a jacket.....
Hey if you have to baby it... just use a disposable diaper as a cover

Sorry bing..... After what you said on the water about your past Garmin use I just could not resist bing

As to the breaking pin issue Furuno's are the worse after using one of them for years my Garmins seem bullet proof.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
I am going to pick up a couple of those packets and throw em in after doing the hair dryer trick. Hopefully that will last for a while. What type of tape did you use for the housing Bing?
Yep. If its dry inside, then there should be less condensation. I used to blow dry the inside once a year when condensation started showing again, but I have been remiss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Hey if you have to baby it... just use a disposable diaper as a cover

Sorry bing..... After what you said on the water about your past Garmin use I just could not resist bing

As to the breaking pin issue Furuno's are the worse after using one of them for years my Garmins seem bullet proof.

Jim
Garmin wanted 125 to fix the pins If I were a careful person, it shouldnt be a problem. Problem is, I am not a gentle person