Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
comrad_zeelaagee

Exclamation I did something today...

HAVE YOU?

I called Marting Garrick's office today to express my concerns about the MLPA closures.

Find your representative and call them today!
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

DO IT! DO IT NOW!
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Whizz Bang

Garrick and Harkey, done and done.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
comrad_zeelaagee

SWEET!

Keep it going!

I want to see at least 5 more here today.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
comrad_zeelaagee

c'mon folks let's see some action. just because there's no meeting to attend does not mean there's no action to take.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
hatchetman

sent e-mail to Moreno Ducheny, Denise
not able to call from work but email works to

Salas, Mary has no email contact from the page liked previously.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
TCS

Email to Senator Kehoe

I called Christine Kehoe's office and spoke with a staff member who was very interested in hearing what I had to say. He didn't know anything about MLPA and asked that I send a follow up email so that he could pass of are more detailed request. Here is the email I sent. Hope its factually correct. Feel free to use any or all of it to follow up on your calls.

Hello,

This message is a follow up to my discussion with one of Senator Kehoe’s staff members regarding the Marine Life Protection Act. I have attached a link to that will provide more detailed information on the MLPA process for the South Coast region, which directly impacts Senator Kehoe’s district.

I am a member of a group of kayak fishermen who paddle out from La Jolla Shores to fish off the kelp beds in La Jolla. As a group we have been very actively participating in the MLPA meetings and public comment to try to protect continued access to enjoy this natural resource, but we are very concerned that this process is being funded and dominated by environmental interest groups that do not support a balanced approach to protecting our environment. As a group, kayak fishermen are very supportive of conservation and environmental protection, but we need to ensure that reasonable access and a balanced approach are preserved in this process. >>
>>
Kayak fishermen would not be the only constituency affected by this. There is a vibrant economy in San Diego revolving around sport fishing, which consists of many small businesses that stand to be devastated by this process. We cannot afford to lose these jobs when our economy is already is such poor condition. One other issue with this process that I would like to point out is that this is an unfunded mandate. The department of fish and game has stated that its budget would need to increase dramatically to enforce these potential closures. The problem with that in our current fiscal environment should be clear to all of us, but is being conveniently ignored by some proponents of this process. >>
>>
Here is a link to the MLPA site. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/southcoast.asp There are several proposals being considered which are called Lapis 1, Topaz, and external A. There is a process now to try and finalize the map that will be proposed at the conclusion of the process. The proposal Lapis 1 is the most extreme proposal currently, which does not balance the needs of the stakeholders in this process at all. Ocean kayak fishing in particular would essentially cease to exist as a safe and accessible sport in the San Diego area if Lapis 1 were to pass. >>
>>
To paraphrase my requests in the simplest terms: >>
>>
Please get involved in the MLPA process and protect the interests of your constituents.>>
Please require that any proposal be funded before it can become policy>>
Please keep La Jolla Open to Kayak Fishing.>>
>>
I would like to thank Senator Kehoe and her staff in advance for representing her fishing and small business constituencies in this process. >>
>>
Tom Steinhauer>>
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
comrad_zeelaagee

thank you tom! that's one well drafted letter.

as a north county resided- i would also like to ask people to push for keeping north county open too.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I've got an idea on what we should send Arnie....oh, never mind....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
brandonplum
Junior

motivated me

You motivated me to send this message to each of my senators and my assemblyperson.

"I am writing to you to voice my concern regarding the pending closures of public space to recreational fishing. The MLPA closures pending in Southern California represent a costly and drastic effort to limit the public's access to public resources.
I am a supporter of limits on daily catches, but I am opposed to outright closures.
My son and I fish from a kayak, much as my father and I fished together during my youth, and he with my grandfather. I do not see how even a fleet of kayak fishermen and private boaters could damage these resources.
I feel the "science" behind the closures is a thinly veiled ruse propagated by the radical preservationist movement to deny tax paying citizens the rights we have inherited from our forefathers.
If the state is bent on spending money to improve the resources, hire additional game wardens and aggressively prosecute poachers.
Please do not support the MLPA and do not support the limitatins on my access to public resources."
brandonplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Billy V

Well written Tom.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote