Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
dorf

A New Convert is born

A little while ago (before Christmas) I took a buddy of mine and his son fishing out on the NASNI Pier. We wet our lines and dropped some hoop nets. He had not been fishing in a long while (since his dad passed). He was really excited to be able to share this experience with his son. Even though we did not catch anything that night it stuck with him and his son. I told him that if they liked fishing from the pier they should try it from a kayak. At first he was apprehensive. He said “But I don’t know how to swim.” I told him that the purpose of the kayak was to keep from having to swim. He thought about it for a while and when he saw my kayaks he said he would like to try it.

As soon as the conditions settled down I told him that I would be going out for lobsters if he would like to join me. I took him out of Tidelands Park this past Friday (16Jan09) evening to hunt for some lobsters and wet some lines. I gave him a safety brief and a run down on how things work on the kayak (rudder, peddles and paddle).

As soon as he got in the kayak and started to peddle he was HOOKED. He would not stop smiling. I told him that the fun is just about to begin. We peddled out into the harbor to one of my lobster spots. He was in awe at the fact that he was in the middle of San Diego Harbor. As we went past the Air Craft Carriers at North Island he was amazed saying “they look much bigger from this side.”
We dropped the nets and I set him up with a chunk of squid to drift with. Name:  Paul and Gerry.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  72.4 KB
I showed him how to haul up the first net (nothing). He pulled up the second (nothing) and so it went for the evening but his excitement never diminished. We continued to drift and as I was about to drop a net after another unsuccessful pull he starts yelling “Hey Paul I think I got something.” I pulled along side of him to see that he had caught his first fish from a kayak (Sand Bass). Small as it was it was huge for him. Name:  Gerry 1.JPG
Views: 611
Size:  52.7 KB

We decided to pull the nets and drift back to the park. As we drifted I pulled up a small bass myself and he pulled in a larger spotty that he released. Name:  Paul 1.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  60.4 KB Name:  Gerry 2.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  52.5 KB

In the 7 hours we were on the water he never stopped smiling. At the end he asked me when I would be going out again and if he could join me. I told him that we would set up a time to get his son on the kayak so he could fish also. We have something set for this weekend.

It was great to see that enthusiasm in him. It reminded me that, as a kayaker I have it pretty good. It’s a nice feeling to be able to share this life style with someone else, especially when the people you share it with truly appreciate it.

I have a new fishing partner.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
A little while ago (before Christmas) I took a buddy of mine and his son fishing out on the NASNI Pier. We wet our lines and dropped some hoop nets. He had not been fishing in a long while (since his dad passed). He was really excited to be able to share this experience with his son. Even though we did not catch anything that night it stuck with him and his son. I told him that if they liked fishing from the pier they should try it from a kayak. At first he was apprehensive. He said “But I don’t know how to swim.” I told him that the purpose of the kayak was to keep from having to swim. He thought about it for a while and when he saw my kayaks he said he would like to try it.

As soon as the conditions settled down I told him that I would be going out for lobsters if he would like to join me. I took him out of Tidelands Park this past Friday (16Jan09) evening to hunt for some lobsters and wet some lines. I gave him a safety brief and a run down on how things work on the kayak (rudder, peddles and paddle).

As soon as he got in the kayak and started to peddle he was HOOKED. He would not stop smiling. I told him that the fun is just about to begin. We peddled out into the harbor to one of my lobster spots. He was in awe at the fact that he was in the middle of San Diego Harbor. As we went past the Air Craft Carriers at North Island he was amazed saying “they look much bigger from this side.”
We dropped the nets and I set him up with a chunk of squid to drift with. Attachment 909
I showed him how to haul up the first net (nothing). He pulled up the second (nothing) and so it went for the evening but his excitement never diminished. We continued to drift and as I was about to drop a net after another unsuccessful pull he starts yelling “Hey Paul I think I got something.” I pulled along side of him to see that he had caught his first fish from a kayak (Sand Bass). Small as it was it was huge for him. Attachment 910

We decided to pull the nets and drift back to the park. As we drifted I pulled up a small bass myself and he pulled in a larger spotty that he released. Attachment 911 Attachment 912

In the 7 hours we were on the water he never stopped smiling. At the end he asked me when I would be going out again and if he could join me. I told him that we would set up a time to get his son on the kayak so he could fish also. We have something set for this weekend.

It was great to see that enthusiasm in him. It reminded me that, as a kayaker I have it pretty good. It’s a nice feeling to be able to share this life style with someone else, especially when the people you share it with truly appreciate it.

I have a new fishing partner.
I love the beer bottle holders, where did you get them?
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
dorf

I got these when I was on Guam running with the Hash House Harriers there.
3/4 inch strap through a foam coozy and you have it. THey are gret at parties when you have a plate of food and no place to set your drink when you eat.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Rik
OEX Oceanside

Talking

another one bites the dust, good onya Paul for introducing him to our sport!

Rik

Rik is offline   Reply With Quote