Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
DDS
Finally landed one

Found the perfect flag!

Great to hear the stories of so many guys catching their first...though today wasn't that day for me.

Hit the beach at 6:00 and launched to mild surf, much easier than last weekend.
Made bait near the kelp easily and got to fishing around 7:15...Saw a couple of guys hooking up with Yellows before 8:00 so I kept trolling one Greenie on the top and another with a 2 ounce weight to keep it down low and out of the way.

Got a text from my wife that she wanted to join me, with the kids, on the tandem island for a day on the water...so cruised back in to pick them up and headed back out like Clark Griswold with the family truckster....

So the quiet fishing day alone turned into more of a family outing, but it was somewhat short lived as I lost the kids interest around noon with no love on the lines. Something snapped me off around 10:30 AM due to the rookie mistake of putting my thumb on the spool (D'oh!) while it was trying to run....but most action I've had yet so that was a bit of a bright point.

Saw a mako or other 6-8 foot long dark colored shark near the la jolla canyon on the way in...funny to see my wife rip her feet back onto the boat at the sight of dorsal fin...Hit the shore just after 12:30 with another solid goose egg in my column. But it FEELS like its getting closer to happening...

Anybody see the two guys on the motor boat hooked up and driving around chasing their catch like a bat outa hell? Was hoping to see what had them racing around...whatever it was it was big.

Anyway, hardest part of the day was actually loading the boat at the end...high tide, mountain of sand and sea weed at the launch site, a million tourists and kayakers all converging around the launch at once. Life Guard said there was a scuffle earlier between the pro yak guides and some fishermen...hopefully all is OK.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
TJones

Excellent report

Thanks. What did the line look like upon inspection ? Knot failure , shark abrasion ? How much tension or thumb tension did you put on it ? If your connections are good and you are using 30 pound ,you should be able to put some heat on it . Next time you will get em . Obviously you should never put your thumb on reel , and should let the drag do its job . Especially during the first run . If the fish is hunkered down late in battle and you need to horse him in , then I can see someone using the thumb on spool . Setting the drag properly takes lots of experience . After a while it's not that difficult . The drag might be set at different levels based on targeted species . You can even go about setting using a scale . If you want to be anal about it . For yellows you want a decent amount of drag, but no too tight . What feels like a lot of drag with the rod loaded up and the fish pulling is not as much as you might think . Probably around 5 lbs. of drag would be good , maybe slightly more . Hope this helps .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
h2ofishfo

Why are you slider sinker rigging in the fly line season of the century ? . Live and learn I guess
Old 08-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
DDS
Finally landed one

TJones,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond.

I was running one pole with 50lb Braid and about 6 feet of 40 lb mono...that was the one I had a sinker on.

The other rod I fly lining 40b braid and 6ft of the 30lb mono leader. The strike ws on this purely fly lined Rod.

Seeing as it was my first real bump on my rod in a solid 6 sessions I got a little crazy when grabbing the set up and thumbed the spool...definitely a rookie mistake...also my kids were both being towed on the boogie boards between the kayak and the amas of my tandem island at the time, I was seriously multi-tasking, so the hook up was quite a surprise and I over reacted.

The line appeared broken on the braided section...I'll just think in my head it was a blue fin! Oh well, at least if I pile up enough rookie mistakes without repeating too many I'll keep getting the experience I need to land a yellow...or dodo or blue if I get really lucky.

Last edited by DDS; 08-22-2015 at 05:03 PM.
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
DDS
Finally landed one

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Why are you slider sinker rigging in the fly line season of the century ? . Live and learn I guess
Thanks for the response...you bring up a great question I have been meaning to ask...

I see lots of guys who look like they are running two rods at once, but the times I have run more than one fly lined mac it would inevitably get tangled in the other line. Also, at that point the sea lions had taken two of my greenies that were up on the surface. So, I thought to run one down below to help with the sea lions and keep it from being tangled up with the fly liner on the surface....tips or suggestions?

If you are looking to run two live bait lines, how do you situate them besides just running unequal distances?
Or do you never run two live bait lines on a yak?

These are just the things I hope glean from the folks on this board so I can keep getting better, and hopefully kick the skunk flag and be able to fly a nice yellowtail flag the next time I fish the Jewell.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
619-SWIM-DOG

Quick ?? So you tow your kids on boggy boards all the way out of reserve and then fish. Seems like too many variables.

As for two lines, I would just stick to one, I have done the two and I think it's more of a hassle. Trying to reel in the other line, getting tangled with the other line. Just my 2 cents.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
DDS
Finally landed one

Yes, the idea of having romper room on the yak while trying to fish wasn't ideal, but I get to fish longer while the family is with me and happy. That was the reason for the surprise upon hook up and me flubbing the first 10 seconds...no way I figured I would hook up at that moment with all the commotion going on.

Thanks for the feedback on the two lines. I figure 1 was simpler, but I also was working under the "if one fish can't attract a bite, maybe with two will be twice as lucky" philosophy.

I'll try sticking with one fly lined bait to lower the complexity...and after my wife saw the shark on the way in yesterday I doubt she will want me to drag the kids as bait on boogie boards in the future!

Last edited by DDS; 08-23-2015 at 08:36 AM.
DDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS View Post
Thanks for the response...you bring up a great question I have been meaning to ask...

I see lots of guys who look like they are running two rods at once, but the times I have run more than one fly lined mac it would inevitably get tangled in the other line. Also, at that point the sea lions had taken two of my greenies that were up on the surface. So, I thought to run one down below to help with the sea lions and keep it from being tangled up with the fly liner on the surface....tips or suggestions?

If you are looking to run two live bait lines, how do you situate them besides just running unequal distances?

These are just the things I hope glean from the folks on this board so I can keep getting better, and hopefully kick the skunk flag and be able to fly a nice yellowtail flag the next time I fish the Jewell.
DDS, I am by no mean the Jedi Master out there in LJ but what I have learned and talked with others about is the leader. On Wed on caught my first then second on same day and the only thing I did different was add an enormous amount of fluorocarbon leader this time. I have always used flouro this time I had at least 20 yards on there..and I will continue to do the same for here on out. I used to use about 4 yards maybe I got lucky that day but im a believer now. I also learned that I like having only one line in, I have tried 2 before and they just got tangled no matter how hard I tried adjusting the lengths. While it is trolling I just use an iron every now and then or nothing at all and just relax. I went out 8 times until I finally got hooked and I was about 1/2 mile west of the corner in 150 feet of water..for both and someone else got hooked up in same area. Tight lines and you ever want to go just let me know!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
govomit

Quote:
Anybody see the two guys on the motor boat hooked up and driving around chasing their catch like a bat outa hell? Was hoping to see what had them racing around...whatever it was it was big.
The two guys on the motorboat said a seal got their big YT and they were trying to chase him and keep him underwater long enough so he releases the fish. But their line finally broke. I saw 2 huge black male seals in front of the boat. Maybe it was a successful "team" effort of thieves.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

Quote:

yeah run them at unequal distances and make rod holders that spread your baits apart. I can double hook ups just leave the fish your not fighting in a light drag it takes practice. If the other one doesn't get bit reel it in as you are fighting the other it takes practice
Old 08-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
DDS
Finally landed one

kjsdad619 and h2ofishfo thanks so much for the tips and feedback. Lots of practice seems to be the word to the soon to be wise fisherman.

govomit thanks for the report...that guy driving the boat was a monster at keeping his fisherman pointed in the right direction...bummer it was for naught with the sea dogs taking a great fish away....

I got tricked twice into peddling way out of my way Saturday with Birds dive bombing on seals thrashing stolen yellows about instead of marking good spots to fish...
Old 08-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
h2ofishfo

Quote:
kjsdad619 and h2ofishfo thanks so much for the tips and feedback. Lots of practice seems to be the word to the soon to be wise fisherman.

govomit thanks for the report...that guy driving the boat was a monster at keeping his fisherman pointed in the right direction...bummer it was for naught with the sea dogs taking a great fish away....

I got tricked twice into peddling way out of my way Saturday with Birds dive bombing on seals thrashing stolen yellows about instead of marking good spots to fish...
right on wait on the seals you will see a seal splashing out trying to rip pieces off a yellow very condensed compared to a school balling bait