Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Kayak Newbie Here - Hello!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself. Until now, I strictly fished the surf and am a regular over at scsurffishing.com, where I would occasionally read some yak reports. Some guys over there recommended this website as THE premier website for kayak fishing.

Well, a few weeks ago I purchased my first kayak off of craigslist, a Future Beach Freedom 144. I did this to "test out" fishing from a kayak because I really want a Hobie like the one I tested at the Fred Hall back in March. At any rate, I wasn't ready to spend thousands just yet so thought I'd try out a craigslist offering.

Since I'm from North OC, I've only been in Huntington Harbor and Alamitos Bay - they have been pretty fun, although the largest fish I caught was a spottie at around 15". The rest of my very limited catches (skunked twice already) were very small.

I'm not ready for the open ocean by any means, but I think I'm going to try launching from Cherry Beach in Long Beach to hit up one of those oil islands, and that is about as "open ocean" I am willing to try, since it's still protected by that wall right? What do you think?

Mostly I'm hoping to meet some of you fine folks that are in my neck of the woods so that I don't go solo every weekend. Does anyone fish around the Long Beach / Seal Beach area?

Thanks for reading!
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
fishnfoool

Halibut

Great halibut fishing this time of year. I usually troll around as close as i can to the beach with a lucky craft. However this year, La jolla has been to good for me, so I have not been going to Long beach (my back yard).

Good Luck
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Rambo

Patience, Read, Learn

Welcome to the site. From firsthand experience, I started kayak fishing with a tour guide in Newport Beach and then bought an inflatable kayak for easy travel. Boy was it a Wrong decision in California water. The inflatable is the hardest, most wasteful energy fishing vessel. Just get comfortable with your paddling skills and practice getting in and out of your kayak in the bay. I move on up slowly after 2 hard shell kayak later to the Hobie PA14 and its luxury on the water but a pain to move carry at times. Make sure to strap your gears to coils or bungees or cords cause somehow some way you’ll be donating some to the ocean if you’re not careful. I don’t fish Long Beach but maybe I’ll try it out sometime. I do surf fish there, so just post up a day that you’re planning to head out to a launch and maybe I’ll join you sometime or a few other will join you.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

I'm down for some LB kayak fishing.... let's try for some butts!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Justin
Junior

I'm out of OC too just throw me a pm if you want a fishing buddy I'll show you around .
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
AirborneYak

I'm in long beach too

I've been waning to fish to the breakwalls soon. Pm me if you have the itch to fish.

AY
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
Rocketfish

Wow, thanks for all the replies you guys! One of the first diy things I made were tethers for my stuff. The other thing I believe I'm missing is a vhf radio, but would I need one in long beach harbor?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies you guys! One of the first diy things I made were tethers for my stuff. The other thing I believe I'm missing is a vhf radio, but would I need one in long beach harbor?

It's always good as insurance, but with all the boat traffic In a harbor you can get by without. Maybe bring a buddy or fish with someone on here first before trying solo trips. It would be a confident builder. Now fishing 5 miles offshore without a radio could get you admittance to the nut house. Nothing will build your confidence on the water more than time, but safety is no light topic.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
It's always good as insurance, but with all the boat traffic In a harbor you can get by without. Maybe bring a buddy or fish with someone on here first before trying solo trips. It would be a confident builder. Now fishing 5 miles offshore without a radio could get you admittance to the nut house. Nothing will build your confidence on the water more than time, but safety is no light topic.
Sound advice YakDout. I like it.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Rocketfish

OK guys. How about this Sunday morning? I assume it's easiest to launch from Cherry Beach. Also, I can only fish until about 9ish, so the earlier the better! Send me a PM.

Now... what is your advice on rig setup? I only have a small bass rod I've been using in the bays with 6# line. I also have my surf rod with 15lb braid. I've been drop shotting 3" zoom fluke jr.'s and also big hammer swim baits. will these work?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #11
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
OK guys. How about this Sunday morning? I assume it's easiest to launch from Cherry Beach. Also, I can only fish until about 9ish, so the earlier the better! Send me a PM.

Now... what is your advice on rig setup? I only have a small bass rod I've been using in the bays with 6# line. I also have my surf rod with 15lb braid. I've been drop shotting 3" zoom fluke jr.'s and also big hammer swim baits. will these work?
Me and a few guys will be fishing this Sunday around cherry beach.pm me if you want to meet up.

Paul

Last edited by AirborneYak; 04-22-2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Opsec
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote