Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Long Ago in a Land Far Far Away

I ran across this little story that I sent in to Hook 1 way back in 2008 when Mark and Karen owned it and ran it out of their garage in San Clemente and I had no Sven to tow me in.

Mcgiver and The Gaff
Mark, Just thought I’d drop you a line and give you a story on how your Hook 1 gaff saved me significant discomfort on my last foray out of Dana Point. My Son Troy (AKA Zed on forums) and I launched out of Doheny this past Wednesday (3/3/08) at about 6:00 am with hopes of running into a WSB off the point. Launching at high tide with a bit of south swell made the launch a little dicey we managed to get out, albeit a little wet.

We headed out to the point with a good following current which made the paddle a lot easier. Troy as able to make a couple macs on the way out but I was only able to drum up a few tiny cudas. The water was green and cloudy until we got to the point where it turned clear and blue. I just worked around the point with a dead stick bait rig and working a swim bait with one of my other rigs, while Troy was slow trolling his mac in deeper water. I was getting a slow pick on the Sandies, but still no bait. I headed north of the point to a deeper water reef marked by a couple lobster buoys where I started to pick up some beautiful grade Sandies on the swimbaits. I even had one hit my dead stick bait rig which was weighted with a jig head and split tail plastic. Unfortunately I didn’t get a look at that one but he smoked line off my bait rig, which just happens to be a Trout rig with 6 lb test on it.

By now, the current was ripping from the North with a light breeze from the South. I was only able to stay on the reef for a couple casts, and then would have to paddle up current to drift back over the reef. It was hard work but the quality and quantity of the Sandies was incentive enough for me.

I was done with one of my drifts and was making my turn up current when my paddle broke in half just below the insert that has the spring loaded button on it. It looked like the salt water had corroded the aluminum at the bottom of the insert. By now, Troy was probably a mile or so south of me so getting his attention was not in the cards and I was pretty sure that even if he knew of my predicament, he’d probably laugh and high tail it to shore so he could include this story in his posted fish report. The current was taking me quickly to the south, which meant farther from shore.

I reviewed my options at that point and first tried to paddle the kayak like a canoe with half of the broken paddle. This appeared to be an
option, but a quick calculation of how many strokes it would take to get back to the launch, and how many times I would have to switch sides with the paddle, and imagining how my hands would look after gripping the jagged edge of the half a paddle, I was pretty sure that there had to me a better way.My next thought was to try to collapse the end of one half of the paddle and then shove it inside the tube on the other half of paddle. With a hack saw and some channel locks and maybe a hammer and anvil, I think this might have worked. Unfortunately, by tool inventory consisted of one needle nose pliers. The aluminum was just too tough, and I was unable to bend it, cut it or otherwise decrease it’s diameter enough to push it inside the other half paddle.

My next thought was to make some kind of a 2 or 3 foot splint to push inside the tubes of both half paddles. Enter the 3ft Hook1 Bamboo Gaff. After pulling the rubber cap off one end of the gaff, I realized that it was about the right diameter to do the job for me. My next task was to de-construct the hook end of the gaff. Here comes a shameless plug for the quality construction of this product. Those bastards are well built! Damm it!! I started by trying to find a loose piece of the cord that wraps the hook onto the bamboo. Well, there isn’t any. After a lot of twisting and prying with my needle nose, I was able to create a loose end and unwrap the cord from the bamboo. Home free right? Well no. Under the cord, the hook is wrapped with some real strong black fiberglass like tape and covered with epoxy. After scraping and prodding and twisting with my needle nose, I was able to erode the epoxy along the two edges of the hook. It then took three good raps on the deck of my yak to break it loose.Now I was in business. I put the bamboo inside the tubes of the two halves of the paddle and low and behold, I had myself a functional kayak paddle. It actually performed quite well. You just had to remember to not loosen your grip on one end of the paddle as you alternate your left and right strokes.

The paddle back to Doheny and landing was uneventful and my only regret is that I had to “leave em biting” on the reef. Oh well, I’m off every Wednesday and Thursday, and Murphys Law states that your odds of hooking a big fish significantly increase when you don’t have a gaff.

Rossman
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

And just a few short months later, 6/08, you were still a n00b, no radio havin, no pfd wearin', wsb catchin mofo!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=3515

Last edited by Zed; 03-27-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Kids, do not try that at home
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
erinoo

I'd spank my boy...lol.. and hes the same age as Troy..
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote