Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Abreojos info needed

Baja or Bust wants to try a trip to Abreojos for 2015. Having not been there I can use all the info you might have. Best times of the year for YT and grouper, good launch and landings. ALSO fishing the lagoon and cabin type/camping areas near or on the water, people to contact, it will all help.

If you are interested in going, when and why then?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Hey bob maybe I can be of some help. My girlfriends dad has a house property on a bluff just south of the beach in Abreojos where they launch the hundreds of Pangas. Your best bet would to get a Spot in Campo Rene which is on the water at estero coyote. That estuary is so vast with so many fingers and great fishing, you could easily fish the estuary for full days. There are grouper in the estuary that grow over 50 pounds. Also saw a report of a WSB caught on the beach at the estuary last summer that was near 50 lbs or so. The inlet leading in from the ocean will usually not be an option to ocean launch due to the high current surges. I would recommend driving to the bluff somewhere between Ted Williams house and the point to fish.

In the below picture, the estero, as you can see, is a short drive to the beach where you will want to launch. The white line that I drew is from Ted Williams house which is on the right side of the line to the point on the left side of the line. And the dropped Pin that you see is where the Pangas are lined up in the morning (really cool sight to see)

That stretch of beach in the white line has pretty easy acces, however I would still bring your wheels if youre not 4 wheel drive. The waves are pretty protected in this area and I haven't seen anything bigger than 1.5 feet. Somewhat comparable to LJ, unless the surf is pumping you might hit a little reef wave break. When launching at this beach I suggest driving to the northern most area you are able to launch your kayak on this stretch. There is a nice patch of reef loaded with tons of fish right at the North point in front of the houses. Now as for time of year, I would say July-October would be your best bet. The weather at the estuary (although only a few miles down the road) can be significantly warmer than on the pacific. There are some really nice size broomtail grouper in this area. Last time down I caught one over 60 lbs. Yellowtail fishing was hot as well. Wide open some days, and they were to about 25-30 lbs. This was in August. I will actually be down that way for the annual trip around august so if that is when you decide to go, we might be able to meet up. Let me know if you have any other questions, if I cannot answer them I know who will be able to.

-Brandon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abre.jpg (40.1 KB, 85 views)
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Thank you Brandon, that is a big help, anyone else have information to add?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

This is a direct link to any cabana rental you will need if you decide to go that route.

http://www.camporene.com/punta-abreojos-cabins.htm
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

And this Bob, is the picture of the WSB caught from shore while fishing the estuary at campo Rene. January of this year.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418101180.651943.jpg