Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
socal.beach.bum

Cabrillo 4/27

Launched at 7 am waters we're calm and a cool 62 degrees, with very mild winds less than 4 mph. Worked our way from the boat launch to the lighthouse along the break wall with not very much action. A few short bites, but did manage a nice fat sculpin ( 15.5" @ 2.5#), decided to keep this bad boy for lunch. Towards the end of the day we did find a nice honey hole and pulled up over a dozen calicos (all released) most were shorts but had a few legals. Winds started picking back up at noon so called it a day. Overall a beautiful day to be out..... Oh and I did see a two Bonita chasing my 3" smelt big hammer. Didn't land them but was definitely a cool surprise.
Attached Images

Last edited by socal.beach.bum; 04-27-2014 at 06:56 PM.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

...damn nice rattler Bro !
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
jorluivil

I did more fishing than catching. Fortunately, the winds were better than expected.

Bait was pretty easy to come by, scatted around, but easy to find in the harbor. I had about 3-4 critters come my way and I missed all of them........pesky butts.

Off the water shortly after 1 and at the taco truck shortly after 2

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
walrus

Impressive!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice sculpin!

Nice fish. Have you fished the kelp beds by the tide pools just outside the wall over there? My buddy and I have caught many calico bass, rockfish, cabezon, and sculpin over there fishing from his boat. I think next weekend I'm going to fish over there since you don't have to paddle very far to get there. The only thing is you have to surf launch. Or launch from where you did but that's way more paddling.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice Sculpin
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
socal.beach.bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Nice fish. Have you fished the kelp beds by the tide pools just outside the wall over there? My buddy and I have caught many calico bass, rockfish, cabezon, and sculpin over there fishing from his boat. I think next weekend I'm going to fish over there since you don't have to paddle very far to get there. The only thing is you have to surf launch. Or launch from where you did but that's way more paddling.

Yesterday was my fish time at Cabrillo, but being that its so close to where I live and I see a lot of potential there. It will probably become my new go to spot.

We did venture outside the break wall yesterday but waters were too choppy so we didnt stay out there very long, will tr it again the next time I am out. Did hear some guys catching halibut off spanish mackerel inside the walls, so might try drifting for butts too.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote