Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
yakfishin
Junior

Friday Aug 30 Mission Bay BUST!!!

Well I think the title says it all Todd and I got there about 730 and launched prior to 8. We paddled to every dagone sign that was yellow and said 5mph and fished it, NO LUCK. We fished under both bridges, by sea world, by fiesta island and over by some kelp we spotted, NO LUCK at all, not even a lousy bite.
I had a horrible day with my baitcaster, I think it's time to upgrade the 20 yr old equipment or review the operating instructions. I cast once and my line broke tossing my 6 dollar war bait into the drink. I spent the better part of the day taking knots out of bait caster until the line broke AGAIN and then I said to hell with it. I drug a squid around for the rest of the day.
On the positive side it was nice to get out of Oceanside and fish some place new. The water was calm, easy , and just a beautiful day. We're going to try either LJ or SD bay next.

Me: 0
Mission Bay: 1
yakfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Cuyuna Kid
>-+++(o>

Lol, although we didn't catch any fish, you had me laughing with all your rod/reel issues!
Now.......where's the damn fish? Looked so promising !
We read every possible post about fishing the bay, no luck!
Oh well, on a positive note.....nobody was catching anything!

Next........
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Dannowar

Reading posts will not catch you fish. Try fishing close to the rock jetties by the bridges. Caught plenty of fish Thursday....

La jolla and San Diego bay are not magic producers of fish. Spend time on the water and I promise your average will go up. A better bait caster might work too
Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
yakfishin
Junior

Yup, we fished all those spots along with everybody else on the water. Seems like it was just a bad day for fishing. The heat may have played a roll in that. Just have to put more hours in.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
finyak

Try a day at Tidelands, I always catch a lot of fish there.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
beef78
Large Member

I am assuming you were after halibut? I always do best with live bait there. Sounds like you were in the right places. I have not caught halibut the last couple times I have been there, though. Maybe next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfishin View Post
Well I think the title says it all Todd and I got there about 730 and launched prior to 8. We paddled to every dagone sign that was yellow and said 5mph and fished it, NO LUCK. We fished under both bridges, by sea world, by fiesta island and over by some kelp we spotted, NO LUCK at all, not even a lousy bite.
I had a horrible day with my baitcaster, I think it's time to upgrade the 20 yr old equipment or review the operating instructions. I cast once and my line broke tossing my 6 dollar war bait into the drink. I spent the better part of the day taking knots out of bait caster until the line broke AGAIN and then I said to hell with it. I drug a squid around for the rest of the day.
On the positive side it was nice to get out of Oceanside and fish some place new. The water was calm, easy , and just a beautiful day. We're going to try either LJ or SD bay next.

Me: 0
Mission Bay: 1
Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Cuyuna Kid
>-+++(o>

I understand reading the posts will not catch me fish, we were only using the posts as advice..... We're not from the area, so being unfamiliar with the area was part of the problem. Well, and the fact that Yak kept jacking up his bait caster....Lol, sorry bro.
At one point he attempted to throw it in the drink!!
Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Dannowar

Ten bucks and some tip will get you some nice size sardines!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Cuyuna Kid
>-+++(o>

We normally get a $10 scoop of chovies in Oceanside, and almost always have good luck!
We both decided not to hit the bait barge and throw plastics! Wrong decision!
Thanks......
Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Don't forget the tip, it really helps!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
yakfishin
Junior

Yeah that whole tipping thing in Oside makes no difference. Doesn't matter whether you put the tip on the front end or back. We spoke with the bait company prior to coming down to SD but decided against it At least the folks in MB have somebody that answers the phone and can let you know what bait is available. Last two times we've been out in OSide harbor we've gotten the same bait recording saying chovies were available. Show up at the barge, no chovies, haven't had them in days.
The only thing I can say is, it's a good thing I don't feed my family this way. I'd be one skinny motha. Oh well have to give it another go around.
The day wasn't all that bad I had some frosty beverages to help make up for the lack of fish.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Cuyuna Kid
>-+++(o>

We don't! The bait guys always thank us, and are sure to let us know that the guys in yaks always tip, but the guy's with $25,000 boats don't!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfishin View Post
Yeah that whole tipping thing in Oside makes no difference. Doesn't matter whether you put the tip on the front end or back. We spoke with the bait company prior to coming down to SD but decided against it At least the folks in MB have somebody that answers the phone and can let you know what bait is available. Last two times we've been out in OSide harbor we've gotten the same bait recording saying chovies were available. Show up at the barge, no chovies, haven't had them in days.
The only thing I can say is, it's a good thing I don't feed my family this way. I'd be one skinny motha. Oh well have to give it another go around.
The day wasn't all that bad I had some frosty beverages to help make up for the lack of fish.

The 5 dollar tip I normally give gets me pointed towards the fish. I think mission bay is out of the question for the rest of this weekend, but I will be hitting it in a couple of weeks. I am semi new to this area, but I've had a lot of success with halibut out there this year, I'll let you know if I'm headed out that way.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef78 View Post
The 5 dollar tip I normally give gets me pointed towards the fish. I think mission bay is out of the question for the rest of this weekend, but I will be hitting it in a couple of weeks. I am semi new to this area, but I've had a lot of success with halibut out there this year, I'll let you know if I'm headed out that way.
Ill be pounding around Tuesday in a pro angler with Judas Priest on the speakers. Say go and ill show you a couple great Hali spots. Sardines are key.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #15
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

When I tip the guys $5 they usually give me two scoops, then most die due to overcrowding. So now I just tip $2 or $3, get one scoop and some info, and it's cool
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
pbb

Sorry you didn't catch anything, but it makes me feel better about my Sunday AM outing. (also being new to kayak fishing in MB). I caught a couple of Rock Wrasse under the Ingraham St. bridge, but had no other bites under or between the bridges. Nobody else I talked to was catching anything.

So maybe none of us were doing anything too wrong. Just an epidemic of lockjaw.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote