Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
easyday

Is it better to have hooked and lost or to have never have hooked at all?

Hit up newport today. Launched at the coast guard station around 0630 with a biddy and jim. Got to the spot we were going to fish hooked up with something big on my light tackle, rod was completely bendo in the water drag was buttoned down and it was still peeling line gained the upper hand started bringing it up and boom spit the hook. About another 15 minuted and my other rod starts screaming I get him tired out finally start making progress in my line back then boom fish was gone. Then my heavy rod loaded up and the fish was tearing drag fast grabbed the rod and just held on took me for a nice little ride then let go of the mack. I pulled it up deffinately teeth marks all over the mak I drop it down and boom instantly hit again, went for another ride and then ended up just shredding the mack never even got hooked. Then I had another huge hit and spit. My buddy hooked up aboit an hour later and he got a big wsb to about 5 feet then it just magically spit his hook. Im guessing mine were wsb as well but not sure. Yes it was a disappointing day esp after losing what would have been my first halibut last sunday and now losing what woukd have been my first wsb, but the thrill of that line peeling of and getting a ride makes it all worth ir in the end. I will return to that spot and I will take him home with me next time....
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
bad brady

Bummer bro. You keep putting all this time and it'll pay off soon.
bad brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Raskal311

Definitely better to hook; been out six times this season so far and still nothing bigger than a sandy. I'm going to have to stock you on the water one day to see what I'm doing wrong .
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
easyday

Ill be heading down to Dana Point tomorrow to attempt another go around with the hali.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
bubblehide

Easyday, what your describing is a typical WSB bite. Most often with WSB, you need to let them run with your bait, until they take it in. There is no hard and fast time of how long to let them run before setting the drag; I usually let them run for at least 5 seconds before setting the drag (yes I actually count it out). When fishing WSB, the pole is in my hands in free spool, I seldom fish a second rod.

Pay attention to those teeth marks on your baits, you can often tell what type of fish bites your bait, once you learn the teeth marks they leave on bait.

Obviously your doing a lot of things right if your getting bit. It's only a matter of time before you fill the freezer.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

I am going to have to spend some time out there this week! thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
The not knowing is the part that always sucks, but given the amount of strikes you had I'd venture to guess you might have run into a wayward school of WSB & that would have me kicking myself from here to St.Swizzin's day!!!
I feel for you sir, you have my deepest condolences.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
captnblood34

Better to have hooked and lost.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
steveooo

How frustrating! I say better to hook. WSB is my guess for your encounter. If it happened to me I'd try to convince myself that it was a big school of bat rays
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
bigbarrels

sounds like a blast! I think you should hit that same area again rather than Dana Point
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
rieffer

What a bummer! I would have loved to seen that. Sorry I had to leave early. I've caught PB's of WSB and Halibut there. Let's do it again.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
Poxy Boggards

Sounds like you had fun out there! You did better then I did down at Dana Point on Saturday. The fishing was turned off big time from a couple of weeks ago. Probably had soemthing to do with the large swell the few days prior to Saturday churning up the water.

Good luck on your next trip, keep at it and you will be rewarded!
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
easyday

Lol not sure if it was luck

Last edited by easyday; 06-10-2013 at 04:11 PM.
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote