Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
ftufc
Junior

So glad I found this site; question re. OK Torque....

First of all, I am SO glad I found this site/forum; there is a crapload of great info here and you're in my backyard! I'm brand new to this site and to kayaking and am anxious to get started. I'm 58, 6'2", 190# and I'm in decent shape. I have been boating (I/O) my whole life, mainly ocean and I can't wait to experience being "in the water" with a SOT and fishing! I have four tests scheduled over the next 4 wks; Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback 12, Wilderness Ride 135, & OK Torque; I know it's a pretty varied selection. My first trial will be tomorrow in NPB of the 2 Hobies & Wilderness. I'm having a really difficult time finding a Torque to trial.

My 19 year old son (6' 7", 200#) is very anxious to join me in this new adventure as well, and my first inclination is the OK Torque for me and the Hobie Revo 13 for him; he's pretty athletic. I know the tests will answer a lot of my questions about each one, but your experiences would give me varied and different perspectives and would be very valuable.

I'd very much appreciate any feedback on any of the four, but I'm particularly curious about people's experience with the OK Torque. I will primarily launch in a harbor or from docks or deep shortline, but want to experience surf entry as well. My question is, if I pull the Minn Kota drive up during entry,,, how difficult is it to install the drive once past the surf. Any experiences????? Thanks in advance!
ftufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Sdspeed

Really looking forward to your impression, happens to match my list.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
ftufc
Junior

Very cool; maybe I'm on the right track then, lol. I can't wait to try out the three tomorrow; still gotta find a Torque demo. If you're interested, I WILL post my impressions after the trial; maybe it will help someone looking for the same info.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I haven't tried the Torque in the surf because you have to lug the heavy battery and load it into the kayak at or in the surf-line but I'm sure it can be done. Assuming you have the battery (the heaviest part) already loaded into the kayak and connected, I would install the motor/plug in water just deep enough to float the boat and prop at least 1 foot off the sand (probably knee-deep water). Watch the surf very carefully and keep the bow pointed into the surf, holding the bow strap is preferred. When the time is right, I would walk to the cockpit while keeping the bow pointed into the surf, deploy the rudder, climb into the Torque, sit in the seat and crank the motor up while paddling to clear the surf zone. This is pretty risky, but doable. You can try to launch with the motor pulled up, but there isn't much advantage to putting it on the deck, you might as well put it in and use it. If you do launch with the motor up and you paddle out beyond the surf, now you have to turn around, face backwards and install the motor/plug without dropping it overboard and strap it down; not an easy task. It's easier to just launch from a safe-harbor... DSC00391.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
ftufc
Junior

Redsled! You have a Torque!!! Do you "love it", "kinda love it", "it's decent", or "wish you'd bought something else"? Are you able to stand in it pretty easily (as in fish, standing)? How long have you used it? What's your primary use(s)?

Thank you; Very useful comments regarding surf entry/exit with the drive in; I figured I'd just install the drive in knee deep surf, walk it to waist deep, then hop on, and hope I didn't bottom out; I'd hate to ruin a new $700 drive, although the props are only $9, lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Torque

Another problem will be dealing with a bait tank if you launch with the drive out. The drive sits right where most people place their bait tanks. So you will have to move it to get the drive in after launch and out before landing.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
ftufc
Junior

Great thought Greg; I never thought of that. Although if I do use a bait tank, I'll certainly be harbor launching; I don't know how to catch my own bait yet, so I'd leave from a harbor that has a bait barge.

Btw, RedSled; that is a terrific pic of your Torque! It's beautiful.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftufc View Post
Redsled! You have a Torque!!! Do you "love it", "kinda love it", "it's decent", or "wish you'd bought something else"? WeAbsolutely Love it! Are you able to stand in it pretty easily (as in fish, standing)? Stand, (if you have good balance) yes it is very stable. How long have you used it? Off-and-on going on 2 years. What's your primary use(s)? Fetching the kids when they won't come home on their own!!!
DSC00416.jpg
Thank you; Very useful comments regarding surf entry/exit with the drive in; I figured I'd just install the drive in knee deep surf, walk it to waist deep, then hop on, and hope I didn't bottom out; I'd hate to ruin a new $700 drive, although the props are only $9, lol.
Replies above...
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Oxbeast1210

Im courious why you want one with a motor do you habe health issuez?
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
ftufc
Junior

@ RedSled - haaaaaaaaaa; that's pretty funny (fetching kids). Those are all great things to hear (about the Torque), thank you so much.

@ Ox - no, no health issues, I'm actually in pretty decent shape, especially for a 58 yr. old; but I hope to average 10 - 15 miles when I go out and I want to have a backup in case I get fatigued; I've never paddled before; I never want to be in a position where I'm out 5 miles and too spent to get back in. I'm actually really looking forward to paddling, for the exercise, but my main interest is fishing, so I'm looking seriously at the Hobie Revo 13 and Outback, as well as the Torque. I don't know that I'll know which best meets my needs until I actually try them. As you can see, I'm pretty fond of the alternative propulsion options (MirageDrive or Torque Drive); I like having options .
Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Drufire
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftufc View Post
Redsled! You have a Torque!!! Do you "love it", "kinda love it", "it's decent", or "wish you'd bought something else"? Are you able to stand in it pretty easily (as in fish, standing)? How long have you used it? What's your primary use(s)?

I have a prowler 13t which is basicly the same hull. I am 6ft tall @ 180lbs, and unless the water is flat I wouldn't reccomend standing. And if its windy I wouldn't even try. I have stood up on it, it will take some getting use to
Drufire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
ftufc
Junior

Thanks for that insight Drufire. You know, I think the Torque is actually the Trident hull, which has slightly more stability than the Prowler because of the chine design. But the added weight of the battery (45#) and drive (20#) all below the waterline, I think, makes the Torque actually more stable. I guess until I try one I won't know.

I know that Redsled has a Torque and commented that it is reasonable (not easy) to stand in it.

Thanks for the thought!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Drufire
Junior

Ya I think they would be close to the same. Like I said standing is doable, and with practice(which I gave up on) probably easy. Now hooking into a big fish while standing be ready to swim
Drufire is offline   Reply With Quote